• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Angled Linked images pixelated ONLY on export

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been dealing with this for a long time, since export replaced the old "save for web" command.

When I have linked images placed at ANY angle different from 0º the exported artboard results in pixelation.

This doesn't happen if I use the legacy Save For Web command. This is makes the multiple artboard export completelly useless, because if I want to avoid pixelation, I have to export every artboard individually.

This also happens to EMBEDDED images which I don't use since it makes the file size too big and slow.

I'm attaching two images of the same file, one was created with EXPORT command and the other with SAVEFORWEB.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, this is a very old issue and still happening....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the anti-aliasing settings when you export? Do you use art optimized?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different AntiAlias settings, same results...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What PPI are you using? Have you tried using multiples of 72 like 144, 216, 288.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPI changes don't affect the result, I've tried everything, this is an example at 72ppi, but this happens at any resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see a big difference between Type and Art optimized.

TYPE-VS-ART-OPTIMIZED.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you exported that? Of course theres a difference between optimizations, but that's not my point, my point is that ANGLED images pixelate after export,  no matter with AA optimization. Thats why I'm posting angled and not angled linked images on the same artboard.

These are the steps so you can reproduce the issue:

STEP 1: place a linked image (it can be JPG, PNG, any format)

STEP 2: duplicate and rotate the same image (so you can compare results)

STEP 3: Export using "EXPORT AS..." command (choose any format and optimization you like)

STEP 4: Look at the difference.

EDIT: Added image for clarity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Export for Screens with 2 different anti aliasing options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But when I use your steps I get the same result as in my example

Remember that artwork with angled lines will always give stairsteps when exported as an image.

Low resolution and Type optimized make it more visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you saw the first post? one jpg was created with "Save for Web" and the other was created using "Export for Screens". Clearly they are different, no matter what optimization I use, what format, what size, what ppi, the rotated image looks very different from one image to the other. Thats my issue. I need the "EXPORT FOR SCREENS" to give me the same results as "SAVE FOR WEB".

I think you're missing my point, I KNOW all workarounds to fix this, I've been using this program since Adobe Illustrator 88, my issue is WHY do I have to work around this in the first place.

Export for Screens should produce pixel perfect images of all my artworks at any size, resolution and format, no matter how I place or rotate the images.

EXAMPLE: Two artboards, same linked image, one is placed without rotation, the second is rotated. Exported both with "Export for Screens" settings JPG 100 with AntiAlias Art Optimized, and here's the result.

No imagine you have 40+ artboards, most of them with rotated images... I want to export them all with one command... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce that with Export for screens.

Can you post your settings and also the origional image you placed in Illustrator? Maybe even the AI file together with the palced image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This are the files I'm using for this example, but this happens to me with all files and images, on all my computers, since Save for Web became "Legacy"... fingers crossed it's never actually removed from Illustrator. 

Can't attach the .ai file... I can send it to you directly if you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 

What you could do: try the public beta of Illustrator. That's where I got my better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That gives me a little hope... thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some more tests, the beta gave me the same horrible results with art optimized jpeg as you showed. Art or Type does not matter. PNG works fine in the beta. 

The shipping version 27.8.1 does what it should and gives good results with Art optimized export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest version 27.8.1, no good results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be some setting that does not stick. Art Optimized gives me much better result. First I thought it could be because I used png, but with jpeg it works fine too.

Art-and-Type-jpeg-files.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you don't have to deal with this. But it doesn't help me. I've tried everything, since I work a lot with multiple artboards and angled images... This happens on all my computers, on all versions of AI (haven't tried beta) fresh installs, fresh systems, all of them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me this depended also upon the angles. I had better results with larger angles. But with the 5° the results were bad. But then again: in the public beta this was improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try "Save for Web (Legacy)" instead of "Export for screens...", any angle comes out perfect... but only one artboard at a time... so this adds a lot of time to my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said: try the public beta. You can install it from the Creative Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to use Beta for work, since it could introduce new problems I don't need nor want to deal with. I'll try it at home for testing purposes, tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the public beta made it worse. Art Optimized does not work with jpeg, it looks like Type optimized.

PNG works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh no.... :(((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines