• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animated zoom not working in Illustrator 2021 (Ver 25.0)

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the new release of Illustrator today, and I can't get animated zoom to work. I have clicked it off and on, tried restarting, and nothing seems to work. Is there something I am missing?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

I'm not sure what was going on yesterday, but today it is working just fine. I didn't even shut my computer down last night!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

View > GPU Preview worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Hello everyone,

I understand that some of you are experiencing an issue with the animated zoom feature not working in Illustrator. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Here are some important points to keep in mind:

• To use the Animated Zoom feature, please ensure that you are in Outline or Trim view.
  • When Overprint or Pixel Preview is selected, Animated Zoom and GPU Preview get disabled, which is expected behavior.
  • Please ensure that your GPU driver, Creative Cloud, Illus

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & GPU Information? Are these updated to the latest version?

This information would help us look into it and assist you accordingly. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! I have an HP Z4 workstation with an Intel Xeon W-2125 CPU @ 4.00 GHz. 32 GB RAM, and the GPU is an Nvidia Quadro P2000. Im running Win 10 Pro. Everything should be up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that this is a common issue. Is it being addressed? Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what was going on yesterday, but today it is working just fine. I didn't even shut my computer down last night!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing for me. Did you get the solving solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues. Sometimes scrubby zoom works on some documents, and not others. I'm on the latest AI version, running MacOS 11.2.3 with an Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB and a Blackmagic eGPU. Also, my color palates seem really funky and much brighter than they should be. And no, it's not a calibration issue with my monitors. This is limited exclusively to AI, and only sometimes. And only since the latest update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Running Mac OS 11.2.3 on a 2019 Mac Pro with an 8 GB AMD Radeon Pro 580X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Did you find a fix? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No 😢--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a good one. Unchecking GPU Performance, quitting Illustrator, starting Illustrator, checking GPU Performance seems to fix it momentarily. Then it pulls the same crap all over again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this thing might be object specific. In my case I suspect an image placed in illustrator.

While I had this issue I created a new file and everything was back to normal and animated zoom was back.

No quit, restart or any of the sort, just a new file.

When I got back to the affected file, animated zoom was off again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the problems mentioned seem to be caused by a recent Photoshop update.

Can you check your Edit > Color settings in Illustrator?

There is a bug caused by the recent Photoshop update. It sets your Color Settings to Emulate Illustrator 6, which turns color management off.

If that is the case, use the CC app to revert Photoshop to the Previous version (22.2.0) and then change your Color Settings to what you want it to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton, exactly like you said. My color settings were set to emulate illustrator 6.

As soon as I changed the settings my so called bad file had animated zoom functioning correctly.

Changing my color settings to emulate illustrator 6 again, caused an animated zoom shutdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem earlier today and the only solution I found was to have the view on GPU preview for the animated zoom to work. you can change it under view. That didn't work for me because it didn't let me change the preview mode from view. Then I noticed that I had left the separations preview on and when I clicked it off the zoom worked again. So apparently if you're in separations preview the illustrator only uses CPU preview and that's why the animated zoom doesn't work. 

So if this happens again just remember to check off separations preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same, i had uncheck "live editing" since i fnd the more GPU implementations they do the more jittery the apps become. Its sometimes horrible, both illustrator and Photoshop lagg on my system. I got 2020 Omen 15 Ryzen 7 4800h 16Gb ram and 1660Ti. Should be more than capable. At work i use a 2009 Mac pro which runs smoother?!?!

So under Performance > Rea-time Drawing and Editting. Enable this and animated zoom works. At least for me it does. But then i get this horrible line issue again and redraw issue on the monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm beginning to think that this problem has several causes.

First of all, it's file specific. I had 2 files open in 2 different tabs.

In one of them animated zoom was working while in the other it wasn't.

This was for no apperant reason as both files were very simple.

Second, closing and openning the file again didn't remedy the situation.

It's like Illustrator "remembered" which file was "bad" (I didn't quit Illustrator).

As soon as I switched the "bad" file to preview mode (command y on the mac), animated zoom started working again, even after it was turned off again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > GPU Preview worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Thak you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked bro ! thanks ! I wanna kiss you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of the responses here and nothing worked. I finally switched to CPU preview, back to GPU preview, and now animated zoom is working properly. 

Very weird! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case the issue is caused by the options View>Pixel Preview and View>Overprint Preview. When any of these two is active the zoom won't work. Deactivating both gives the animated zoom back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Worked for me! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines