• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any plans on fixing png/gif transparency?

New Here ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post has 80k views and goes back to 2016... https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/importing-png-with-transparent-background-int...

I've tried every workaround listed to no avail. Copy and paste from Photoshop to Illustrator and vice versa should work no matter what the scenario is, they're both Adobe products, but the fact that I can't even export an image from Photoshop and paste it into Illustrator with transparency, and this problem has existed for at least seven years now, is baffling. Whether it's related to Indexed color or 16-bits channel or something else, at the very least, Illustrator should give you a message saying "Hey valued customer, this PNG you just imported is 16-bit, please save it as 8-bit. Here's how you do that in Photoshop." 

Adobe support, if by some chance you're reading this, please please please submit a bug report. Again, hundreds of thousands of people have theoretically run into this problem.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shaun,

Apologizing for the possibly silly question: Have you tried in vain to save a simple PNG/GIF with transparency in PS, then used File>Place in AI (or the dragging way), as described by Barbara Ash on the day in the linked thread?

"Illustrator will not recognize the transparency in a png if the png is pasted into Illustrator. Instead of copy/paste, first save the png and then File > Place it into Illustrator. Or if you drag the png to your desktop, then drag it into Illustrator it should keep the transparency"

A feature request/bug report can be made (or joined if you can find the same) here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't quite understand the combination "export/paste" that you mention. How could you export then paste? I just tested, it works for me. In Photoshop Use 8 bits/channel, with transparency (not an alpha channel). Use RGB. Use Save as or Save a copy (whichever one works). In Illustrator Don't paste or drag: PLACE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines