• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone else having issues with some scripts failing on M1 Macs?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya! I'm having some issues with some scripts failing to work properly after upgrading to an M1 Mac and Illustrator 25.3.1. The scripts in question work fine when run using the Intel version of AI 25.3.1(both on an Intel Mac mini and the M1 Mini running in Rosetta). The particular scripts are .jvx and involve cycling through layers(one script is meant to just show one layer at a time and the other will run through a sequence of layers based on numbers in the layer names). 

Mostly wondering if anyone else is having issues with known working scripts not behaving as expected in this new environment.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows, but none of my clients have reported issues yet. It's possible they haven't upgraded though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm running Illustrator on an M1 right now. Do you have a script that's failing that I could test?

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing. I've attached an RFT of the code since we can't attach .JSX or Zip files. Let me know if you have another way to get you a copy of the jsx file.

This is a simple layer sequence script - when tun, it should give you a little window with arrow buttons to cycle through each layer in an AI document individually. The script will launch, but when attempting to use the buttons, we get an error warning "TARGET COULD NOT BE LAUNCHED(59)".

Appreciate you taking the time to investigate, thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this might be your issue

//@target illustrator

change it to 

//@target illustrator-25

change this as well

bt.target = "illustrator-25";

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen, I can confirm that I get the exact same error that you do when running your script on AI 25 running M1. (BTW I changed target to 'illustrator-25' as @CarlosCanto mentioned to make the debugger launch.)

I'm wondering if something in the BridgeTalk dependency isn't working on M1. See this note on apple silicon compatibility (subhead: Cross application workflows are not working... a bit old though: Dec 2020).

Aside: I assume you need BridgeTalk for your actual script, because at a quick glance it seems like the test script doesn't need BridgeTalk at all.

Sorry, not much help, but can confirm same error.

Edit: Looks like it is BridgeTalk that is causing the error. Replacing  var bt = new BridgeTalk(); with var bt = {}; doesn't trigger the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming the issue is with the M1 version of AI. When switching out the bit you suggested, the error message no longer showed up, but the script won't cycle through the layers as expected. Did you have any luck with layer cycling? I've attached the sample file I'm using to test each of our production scripts in case you have a moment to run another test(.ai saved as a pdf).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

Yes, removing the BridgeTalk call means the script won't do anything, so it isn't a solution. It was just confirmation that BridgeTalk seems to be the fail-point.

So just to be clear, are you having problems with other scripts failing that *don't* use BridgeTalk?

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

did you resolve the issue?

Perhaps with the 25.4.1 version of Adobe Illustrator installed on your M1 machine?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya! I have not found a solution to fix this issue. THe person who use to do scripting for the company I work for is no longer there so I'm currently at a loss as far as how to get stuff working again. It's unfortunate, but I've been using the intel build of Illustrator to continue working rather than taking advantage of the native M1 build. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you part of the Illustrator Prerelease program?

Join and add a new thread there in Discussions.

https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/85A6F544-2705-49BD-8314-DD549C6A1713

I think this is a new bug, that should be reported at Illustrator UserVoice:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/908050-illustrator-desktop-sdk-scripting-issues

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded the v26 Beta and tested - looks like I'm still having the same issue. Scripts break in the M1 version but perform as intended using the Intel build.

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to post my issue over in the other forum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Stephen,

see you at Illustrator Prerelease!

I think you'll find a hint ( not a solution ), just search my name  "Uwe Laubender" together with "BridgeTalk".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines