• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Area type tool does not work

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, and thank you for helping me out. I am new to Illustrator CC 2018.

I was trying to use the area type tool with a picture of adobe stock and this message appears: "You must click on a non-compound, non-masking path to create a text inside a path". The same happens with Vertical Area, Type on a Path and Vertical Type on a Path tools. I had used other versions of Illustrator before and never had a problem with this, I've just installed Creative Cloud recently.

I was trying to find the same issues inside the forum but I did not find anything related to this version of Illustrator.

I would appreciate any information you could provide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Hey! I was just now struggling with the same issue as you and was looking everywhere to try and figure out why I was getting that error message you mentioned.  I ended up realizing that after I had selected the Area Type Tool, I was trying to click inside the shape.  After watching a video tutorial, I noticed they clicked directly on the border of the shape.  Such a simple thing I totally missed.  I don't know if this will solve your issue, but it worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try this :

1) Create a Rectangle (using the Rectangle Tool).

2) Select the Area Type Tool and click on the Rectangle.

It should create an Area Type (filled with Lorem Ipsum text).

Does it work ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rcdinverno  schrieb

I was trying to use the area type tool with a picture of adobe stock…

What does that mean? Can you clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling that there is a clipping path involved. Did you try making a new layer above the existing one and try the Text tool there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, and thank you for all your help. I did everything you guys suggested me, except what JB Bouleau told me because I could not find Lorem Ipsum text, and I read in the forums that is not a free text with a very complicated way to enable it. Why would Adobe do such a thing when upgrading a program? That is my question now.

Used a path as the first option, used a rectangle as my second option, Always working with a new layer,  then I came to the forums. Sorry if I'm a little frustrated, but it is obvious that something is off with basics in the program.

I used a picture downloaded from Adobe stock, that I had previously resized with Ps. I do not know if Ps. has something to do with this or not. But it shouldn't right?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rcdinverno  schrieb

I do not know if Ps. has something to do with this or not. But it shouldn't right?

Of course it has.

By resizing that image with PS and then saving it, you converted it to raster image. Of course you can't edit the text.

Please show screenshots of what you have in Illustrator.

Make sure to include the layers panel. The layer that contains your problem object, should be open.

You might want to consider reading the documentation to learn about the basics of vector graphics. This is completely different from Photoshop work.

Illustrator Get Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are trying to type inside a pixel based graphic. You can only use the Area Type tool inside of a vector based shape. The problem isn't with any upgrades to the program, but with a misunderstanding of how this particular tool works. If you are still having a problem using it with a vector based shape, please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this video help solve your problem ?

Lorem ipsum is a Placeholder text that software (like Illustrator) generate automatically (and freely) for you to fill all new Area Type Box > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Along with the suggestions shared above, please try right click and release compound path. If it still does not help, would request you to share few more details like:

Type of Image.

Complete workflow or a video of the workflow.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as though you are trying to use an image as a vehicle for area type. An image is not a path, so none of the type options will work. All require paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I was just now struggling with the same issue as you and was looking everywhere to try and figure out why I was getting that error message you mentioned.  I ended up realizing that after I had selected the Area Type Tool, I was trying to click inside the shape.  After watching a video tutorial, I noticed they clicked directly on the border of the shape.  Such a simple thing I totally missed.  I don't know if this will solve your issue, but it worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THIS!

not sure what kind of update they made, but it used to be clicking in the area of the shape directly with text tool. clicking on the border will be for path text. this new change in the software made it so confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I created three circles using the "ellipse tool" (one inside the other) and I want to add a curved text by using the "type on path tool" in the outer circle. When I click on the path of the outer circle and it shows "you must click on a non-compunt, non masking path to create text along a path". I have already clicked on the line of the path as many have suggested but it just does not work. 

Some people have mentioned the 'layers" but what should I do with them?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the Layers Panel show when you select the path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines