• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Artboard rulers

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so it may be my memory is faulty but I remember being able to set it so each artboard in a document had a distinct ruler which in my mind would be artboard vs global rulers.  From reading the documentation artboard rulers are supposed to be the default and the option is greyed out in my view menu so I am assuming that artboard rulers are enabled but....  I just see the global ruler.  If I move the point of origin with one artboard active the point of origin is still shifted when I switch back to the other artboard. 

What I want to do is be able to set it so each separate artboard has a ruler with its own independent point of origin.  I often make sets of graphics all in one ie 1080px x 1080px for Instagram and 800px X 600px for the blog post image and sometimes a google my business post image size too. 

Is mine not working or it how I think this is supposed to work wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Leslie

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Can ou select a different tool to get out of artboard editing mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Yes, first get out of Artboard editing mode.

If you right click the ruler you can switch. When you use Artboard Rulers, you can see the ruler change when clicking in an artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The artboard rulers option is not greyed out in the menu. Instead the menu changes to "Global rulers". When Global rulers are active, it changes to "Artboard rulers". Can you please show a screenshot of what you are referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika:

please see the screen shot. I realize that artboard rulers / global rulers are a toggle from one to another but... I don't see an option to switch to global rulers and artboard rulers is greyed out. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?  When you use artboard rulers do you actually see rulers change to be along the artboard?artboard-rulers-greyed-out.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many artboards are there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the image above there are 2 artboards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can ou select a different tool to get out of artboard editing mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - that was it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that you are using Illustrator for web graphics.

I would recommend using pixels (or points) as units and Global Rulers.

That way you can check if the upper left X/Y artboard coordinates contain fractional numbers (which could cause additional pixels on export).

Artboard rulers can give the false impression that your artboards are aligned to the pixelgrid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind.  

I am just trying to get in my head how these rulers are supposed to work. When you use artboard rulers do you actually see rulers change to be along the artboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, first get out of Artboard editing mode.

If you right click the ruler you can switch. When you use Artboard Rulers, you can see the ruler change when clicking in an artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that worked!  It is now working as I originally expected it should. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that worked, just be careful when moving artboards manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines