Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attempting and failing to select links from the links panel

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 OS, Illustrator v 27.0.

Several weeks ago, the links panel went wonky. When I right click on a link, it will either not select the link at all, or it will un-select as soon as I release the mouse button. I will need to click on it multiple times in order to select the link, so that I can re-link images, or embed linked images.

I've gone through the usual Windows troubleshooting: unplugged the mouse and plugged it back in, checked for updated drivers, replaced the mouse, I've tried clearing my cache and deleting temp files from the PC, etc. AFAIK, my mouse is otherwise working; I haven't run across any other issues that I can recall where selected items un-select themselves. I can select artboards, or different tools, without noticing any issues.

I've also noticed that the links panel is taking a while to update; when I relink a file, it take up to about 5 seconds for the panel to change the thumbnail, and duplicating an art board with links has the same kind of delay on displaying the new links. I don't know if that's related or not.

I'm reluctant to update Illustrator et al. at this point, as my Pantone color libraries are still working.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the Pantone libraries: get them from their location, save them in a dry and warm place and then copy them to your updated version of Illustrator.

As for the links panel: does that happen with all files? Where are your linked files located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea where Adobe stores color libraries; if I can copy them back to a new version, that would save me a lot of hassle. The idea of paying the same for Adobe CC, and then having to pay even more to get the same functionality that I've had for over a decade now really chaps my ass.

As far as the links goes, yes, it happens with all images that I'm placing in an existing Illustrator file. The Adobe suite is installed on my C:/ (SSD, 302gb free out of 475gb), and the images that I'm linking are on D:/ (also SSD, 30gb free out of 475gb). I'm not getting any error messages, like something saying that the scratch disc is full. The images are fairly large; the smallest are 24" x 24", and the largest are around 192" x 108". Large iamges definitely have more lag time overall, but the ability to select the link in the link panel appears to be unrelated to the size of the imge.

I honestly don't know if this is a Windows issue, or an Adobe issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please see a list of locations here: https://www.vektorgarten.de/illustrator-settings.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines