• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beginner Illustrator/Photoshop help

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a graphic designer create something for a hoodie and he provided me the source files which open in Illustrator.He provided downloads and mockups as well that open in Photoshop.Can anyone tell me how I can make the file be able to be edited? Would I do that in Illustrator or Photoshop?I need to change a font and the words for one of the designs.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

What format did the designer provide the art to you? If it was a png or jpeg then those are raster formats which you will be unable to edit in Illustrator. If the format was either an .ai or .pdf then those are editable formats in Illustrator (assuming that they pdf was not just a raster image). You can check to see if the file is editable by going into the Outline mode (View Menu>Outline). If you see a blank rectangle in the Outline mode then the file is a raster files and it can't be edited in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JMG007,

Thanks for reaching out. If you have the original Illustrator/Photoshop files, changing the text on them should be easy. Kindly try the steps shared in these tutorials and share your observations.

Photoshop:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/adding-text-shapes-basics.html

Illustrator:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/text-basics.html

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not letting me change anything about those letters and the "create outlines" option from the video is greyed out in Illustrator so I think I just have to try create another one in the HWT Unic Gothic font I was trying to change it to 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What format did the designer provide the art to you? If it was a png or jpeg then those are raster formats which you will be unable to edit in Illustrator. If the format was either an .ai or .pdf then those are editable formats in Illustrator (assuming that they pdf was not just a raster image). You can check to see if the file is editable by going into the Outline mode (View Menu>Outline). If you see a blank rectangle in the Outline mode then the file is a raster files and it can't be edited in illustrator. If you see outlines then those can be edited using Illustrator's tools. If any type you see is in solid black then it is live type that can be edited. If it is also in outline then you can change its size and color but not its content. For that you would need to reset the type using the original font that created the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines