Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Practice adding Path ?

Engaged ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Illustrator Aficiondos;

A really basic question in order to develop best practice. When filling in voids where Image Trace was not able to fill in a line. Leaving an area void. As an expample a rope on a mast of a ship.

Is it best to use the Line segment tool, Curvature tool, or something else?

As always appreciate the assistance.

TOPICS
How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post a screenshot?

How detailed do you need it to be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika;

Thanks, I am just trying to get an understanding of the tools in how to apply. Some of the ropes will be missing path segment upon Image Trace. I was using the Line Segment tool to connect. Then I found myself adding anchor points and adjusting I am sure there is a better way. Appreciate your time in showing he right way. BTW: Merry Christmas. I am sure Germany is beautiful this time of year. We use to go to Nurenberg. Can still smell the Gleu Wine and Gingerbread Turtle Ship.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image Trace is not super accurate. If you are experiencing gaps, you may want to open the file in Photoshop and touch up gap areas or thicken lines prior to using Image Trace in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb;

That is the first thing I tried was in PS. I am really impressed with the way Illustrator can vectorize this small image into a super size and retain the integrity. I just need to be able to clean it up. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably already familiar with the Advanced settings in the Image Trace panel. Adjusting those before Expanding can sometimes help. 

You could try using the Pencil tool to connect gaps. That might be faster. If you double click on the Pencil tool in the Tools panel you can adjust the Fidelity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the image!

Unfortunately with particularly that type of image you are hitting into an area where Image Trace has its weaknesses. Black and white detailed drawings. 

On top of that the image is not very high resolution, there are these pixelated steps in some areas, which should be rounded, right?

When using Image Trace, you always need to make a compromise: it's either very precisely mathing the template image (which means: every pixel gets drawn as a vector path) or you get nice curves. This can work pretty well with images that have a higher resolution, but when you want to heavily improve a template by tracing it, it cannot work very well.

Here is a video about the options you have for improving the trace and how to edit the result (video has explanation, please turn on sound): https://youtu.be/U4PUhBxrAyo

I love Nuremberg at this time of the year and particularly their Gingerbread, which is thankfully available in other places as well - as I'm living about 600 km away, in Hamburg. We have some Christmas markets as well here and of course they sell Glühwein. Merry Christmas to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Monika;

I understand it was a low rez image. I am really impressed with the capabilities of Illustrator. I normally work on the pixel based side. Trying to explore the Vector world. Appreciate you sharing your knowledge in so many ways.

I did not realize Germany was that big. Even though I have driven all over the country when I was there.  I am hoping to get back there in the next couple years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines