• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best tool for graph creation

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for advice on the best tools for data visualistion.

I'm a professional designer and increasingly I'm needing to design graphs and charts to visualise data in reports I'm putting together. As a designer I obviously want full control over the appearence of these graphics, from fundamental things like colour and typography right through to the finer details like stroke width.

I have experimented with the various graph/chart tools in Illustrator with limited success. My question really is whether I shoud persevere with these tools and master them, or if there is a better third party option I should be using? It's crucial that the graphics can be exported as vector graphics, and also that they remain fully editable.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Third party plugins , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm a professional designer..."

I think restricting yourself to the way Illy does it may not be best for uniqueness... so why not design exactly what you want from scratch? A long long time ago, I used to do this - I never liked how Illy worked this, maybe I wasn't very proficient in it's use, who knows, I found it easier to design from scratch. However if you are constantly updating data the Illy way may be better.

Now there are a LOT of graphing apps, I don't know whether they support vector though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Designing from scratch is not an option for a couple of reasons. Firstly I need to represent the data accurately – I can't run the risk of making mistakes. Secondly, I need to create charts and graphs that I can amend easily in the event that the client decides to change the data, which happens a lot.

I'm currently experimenting with an online tool called Datylon which looks prominsing…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you perhaps show examples of things you want to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's mostly quite straight forward stuff like this. The client might send me a graph they have made in Powerpoint or similar, and I need to recreate it so that I can add it to a report I'm designing in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using graph designs and graphic styles you could do this in Illustrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P66sEGEqYbI (data points can be styled that way as well)

But then there is also Datylon, third party commercial plugin for Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines