• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bitmap images in a file trigger switching from GPU to CPU.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone encountered on a PC, in Illustrator 2023 bitmap images in a file often triggering an automatic switch to CPU with switching back to GPU greyed out? My only fix is to resave the file under a different name, restart Illustrator and then hope it doesn't happen for a while. It makes the file all laggy and unworkable in CPU. On a good PC I use for plenty of 3D work so its not a memory issue.

Cheers

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Illustrator has some issues with gaming drivers. So can you install a different driver? They are sometimes called Studio drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when a bitmap image is placed in the file, then Illustrator switches to CPU rendering? Or the bitmap changes how it looks?

Is that a bitmap in the sense of a raster image or in the sense of a 1 bit image?

How large is it?

Please tell us your hardware specifiations. The amount of RAM, the graphic card.

Are you using a gaming driver for the card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I place a raster image and after a few mintues, 10, 20 sometimes shorter, it can just switch to CPU and shut off access to GPU. I'm a packaging designer so I place a bottle render image or the like into Illustrator and then design vector based labels over the shape. 

Spec is:

32.0GB of RAM

11th Gen Intel Core i7-11800H 

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU

Yeah its a gaming card, is that the issue?

Thanks

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator has some issues with gaming drivers. So can you install a different driver? They are sometimes called Studio drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloading one now. Thanks!

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far so good. Thanks for that. It was driving me crazy.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. GPU is suddenly greyed out. Happens every day. Small file, big file it does not matter...  I also get the "Can't finish previewing" and it turns to outline mode. I have tried different forums, every single solution provided online, but nothing fixes this. Adobe must provide a fix or workaround for this. We cannot pretend to be professionals if the most basic tools in Illustrator does not work!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. GPU is suddenly greyed out. Happens every day. Small file, big file it does not matter...  I also get the "Can't finish previewing" and it turns to outline mode. I have tried different forums, every single solution provided online, but nothing fixes this. Adobe must provide a fix or workaround for this. We cannot pretend to be professionals if the most basic tools in Illustrator does not work!!

By @Sverre5EF3

And what is your hardware specification?

The graphic card? Amount of RAM?

When does this happen? With all files? Just large files? Just pixel images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prosessor Intel Core i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz

NVIDIA RTX 4000

64 GB Ram

This happens to both small (10Mb) and large (250Mb) files. I'm currently working on a file that contains 6 artboards. three artboards are with fotos, and 3 are with simple vector graphics. All in A4 size. It usually happens when moving rasterobjects such as photos, or scrolling sideways. GPU is checked for errors. This only happens in Illustrator. All other software is performing great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you perhaps also running a gaming driver with that card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, no i use the SD (Studio Driver)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PB/Studio is the correct name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case I would contact Cutomer Care and have them take a look at it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/contct.html

They can login to your computer and check out whether there is a possibility to improve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok! Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines