Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Black 'glow' around lights vector instead of transparent

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Can anyone help me remove the black background on this Adobe Stock Christmas lights image? Once I remove the 'transparency grid' that's behind the image of the lights they're all left with this black background. I was hoping to use them in InDesign as a border on a variety of different coloured pages. Is there some workaround to remove this black colour?

Many thanks,

Bryony

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021
The black is there for a reason. Because the glow effects are using the Screen transparency effect, the outer edge of the gradation needs to be darker than anything you may place it against, hence Black. This means you MUST have a colour behind it. Also: the stock art is in RGB mode, so you will have to set your blend space in Indesign to RGB for the effect to work properly. Once you do that, you can place ANY colour behind it, but what you CAN'T do is have NOTHING behind it. Your other option ...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't a complete answer on this thread. I've watched the video but it doesn't explain how to remove the black background and the other answer says they've just been designed to be used over a dark background. I'm hoping that isn't the case and I can use them in another document with the transparency preserved.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video does explain how this could work without black. At about 6:30 you can see how the gradients would need to be in order for this to work.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah thank you! That will teach me for having the attention span of a toddler!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The black is there for a reason. Because the glow effects are using the Screen transparency effect, the outer edge of the gradation needs to be darker than anything you may place it against, hence Black. This means you MUST have a colour behind it.

Also: the stock art is in RGB mode, so you will have to set your blend space in Indesign to RGB for the effect to work properly. Once you do that, you can place ANY colour behind it, but what you CAN'T do is have NOTHING behind it.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 3.37.09 PM.png

Your other option is to go into the artwork itself in Illustrator and individually select every gradation and change it from what it is now, i.e. say a Red color to Black, to and change the Black to the same Red but make the Opacity at that end at 0%..... and there are ALOT of these gradations (my example just shows the bigger one, but you can see there are more closer to to the bulb, so be prepared to spend some time doing this.) 

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 3.43.00 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you that's a really comprehensive answer! I think they actually don't really work for what I want them for but that's ok. (I don't have the patience or the Illustrator know how to do the gradient thing to each light!)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines