• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank fonts in Illustrator Character panel

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating Illustrator on Windows 10 from 27.9 to 28.1, two of my critical project fonts have gone blank in the Character window after years of working fine. Illustrator's canvas shows them as empty text fields even though the fonts are still visible and functional in Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects and XD. 

AdobeClean-Broken.png

The fonts still work on my secondary office PC also running Windows 10 and were not affected by the app updates. I'm not running any 3rd party font management software on either system.

So far, I've:
- closed all Adobe apps and uninstalled/reinstalled the fonts via Control Panel and Registry Editor with reboots in between
- stopped/disabled Windows Font Cache Service and Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 and deleted the contents of: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\FontCache followed by rebooting
- Reset Preferences in Illustrator's Edit > Preferences > General settings
- uninstalled/reinstalled Illustrator followed by another font cache clear, reboot and font reinstallation.
- rolled back Illustrator to version 27.9 and then repeating the font cache clear/font reinstallation steps

I haven't tried a clean reinstall of the Adobe Suite yet or a new/clean Windows installation but I would like to avoid needing to start from scratch. Is there an Illustrator specific cache that can be cleared or a different installation method or order of operations I should try?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the fonts installed for all users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I tried installing them normally and for all users. Same result with both methods unfortunately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the font is not installed twice in your system now?

You might contact Customer Care to look into this: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have clarified - i installed them normally, tested it and then deleted them and rebooted. Then I installed them for all users and tested and got the same results. Rolling back to v27.5 seems to have fixed it for now but I'll contact Customer Care and see if they have any advice.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope they have some additional advice, because you have already tried most of the stuff that should usually be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news! (kinda) - Rolling Illustrator back to version v27.5 fixed the problem. The fonts show up in the list again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some additional version testing and was able to reproduce the bug on my second Windows 10 PC (which wasn't updated afterall): Adobe Clean Regular and Bold OTF fonts work in Illustrator up to v27.7 and then break in v27.8.1 and in all newer versions. I'll contact Customer Care tomorrow to pass the info along. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You probably already know Adobe Clean is an internal typeface system developed for Adobe's own uses. It's not available via the Adobe Fonts service. The Adobe Clean sans and serif type families are not bundled into applications like Adobe Illustrator. Creative Cloud subscribers can download and install the fonts from Adobe's Spectrum page (after agreeing to terms of service, which probably should be carefully read).

There are some odd things happening. The first issue is the sans serif type family is the only thing that downloads from the link on the Developer page. Even if you click on the Adobe Clean Serif link it takes you to the same location and link. Aside from that, in my Illustrator 28.1 installation the Regular and Bold styles of Adobe Clean do not work. The text string renders blank. Funny thing: the same fonts work alright in CorelDRAW. Go figure. This is via testing on a PC (still) running Win 10 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines