Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank PDF in Illustrator APP for iPad

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am currently wanting to create a notepad. Actually I already did in Procreate because its easier to handle for drawings in my opinion. And I literally cannot draw with the Illustrator app and have no time to learn it - at least for this very project. Now my problem is I can't convert a PDF to a Vector drawing in the Illustrator App so I decided to save the drawing as PSD and imported it to Illustrator (if someone knows how to convert a PDF into a vector drawin in the Illustrator App - please tell me anyway!) Because a PDF wouldn't have the same quality as the PSD - at least from my experience. So I did that and now if I want to save it as a PDF, The file will show the picture in the preview in my Files app but if I click on it, it's blank. I send it to my boyfriend via telegram and he could see it. I was able to print it, but when I tried to send it to myself like I would to the printing company via E-Mail the attached file was blank again. There is no option to make every layer printable (or however that is called on the desktop version) I already looked for that. 
So now, my question is: What can I do? Could it be, because I'm trying to save a PSD as a PDF? Or do you have any other ideas? It needs to become a PDF for the printing company as far as I know so that is another steppingstone. 

thank you for reading this super long text and I hope I'll be able to finally discover the problem that is causing this Mystery (and misery 😂😂) with your help!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

I have just tried that workflow and exported a PDF from Procreate, then imported that in Illustrator/iPad.

Worked for me. What did not work, was the text in it, it got converted to pixels. Either when exporting from Procreate or when importing into Illustrator. I can't find out.

What is not possible in Illustrator/iPad is vectorizing. You could try and export your artwork as pixels, load them into Adobe Capture, vectorize and then get into Illustrator. Then do the typesetting in there.

The

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what Procreate is, and I have no time to learn it for this answer, but if it creates vector art, and you can save as pdf, I can't see any reason why Illustrator can't open the pdf.

When you say a pdf won't have the same quality as psd - it depends entirely on your settings when you create the pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not create vector art. That is why I a) exported it at the best possible quality (already have a print of said notepad and its *chefskiss* I just want to change the writing that is used on it so I thought Illustrator would be the best option without compromising the quality)

b) looked for a way to convert it to vector in the app but that's not posssible

and c) exported it as a PSD file imported it as a PSF file, edited it and then tried to save it as a PDF which is the problem I need help with because I ends up being blank. (That is why I was wondering, if exactly that could be the problem, because I was saving a PSD file as a PDF)
I know I could turn it into a vector graphic via Illustrator on a PC but I'd like to know if there is a way around having to do that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*PSD File

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I know I could turn it into a vector graphic via Illustrator on a PC but I'd like to know if there is a way around having to do that..."

So, you don't want to use Illustrator?

For PSD and PSF you should ask in the Photoshop forum.

Or, you could ask in the Procreate forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, at this point, you come across like either a troll or a passive aggressive Adobe Stan. At least someone that doesn't really care about helping me. 

But anyway, I wouldn't make the effort of posting my question here if I didn't want to use Illustrator. As stated above I do not have Illustrator for PC. I use the App for my iPad, as I do everything on it. Everything. I never use a PC. Which would make it really inconvenient to have to use the program for PC for just two steps of the whole process. That is, why again, as stated above, I wanted to know if there is any other way of using the application instead of using the desktop version of the app. By the way, PSD isn't a photoshop exclusive file type as you may have noticed. 

But as you can't seem/want to help me with that problem, I thank you for trying and will stop answering to any further of your reply's  🙂 I have found my answer elsewhere anyway! All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have just tried that workflow and exported a PDF from Procreate, then imported that in Illustrator/iPad.

Worked for me. What did not work, was the text in it, it got converted to pixels. Either when exporting from Procreate or when importing into Illustrator. I can't find out.

What is not possible in Illustrator/iPad is vectorizing. You could try and export your artwork as pixels, load them into Adobe Capture, vectorize and then get into Illustrator. Then do the typesetting in there.

The iPad in general is just not ready for a lot of professional print workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines