Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blend Distorting non-attatched shape?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have trying to make a smooth gradient out of these Chinese words with the blend tool.

Somehow when I start with more then two original outlines it distorted. And this seems to happen when the word having the stokes that are not attaching to the restof the word structure.

So, why this is happening and how can I make it select correct anchor points with such shapes to make it look smooth?

S__9068568.jpgS__9068571.jpgS__9068570.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what you mean by "having the stokes that are not attaching to the restof the word structure," but generally you do not want to have an outline on things that you are blending, as you will not really see the color blend as well if everything has the same color stroke. So I suggest you try it without the stroke. It also appears that you are perhaps not clicking at the same place on all 3 objects and that is why you are getting the distortion. Things can twist if you select different places when you click to blend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the strokes, I mean for exapmle: this word means "roll" in Chinese, and some strokes are away form others.

I use the tool bar on the top of the screen by selecting all objects to do the blend effect, that is why I wonder how it is not working.1644870802620.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I see. I would probably have to take a look at the actual file to figure out what is going on or a work around. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to upload my file but some issue occurred, I'll try again next time as soon as possible. And thanks for your willingness to help! Appreciate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

皓堪,

As I (mis)understand it, why use a Blend at all?

Always keep the original artwork and work on a copy in cases like this.

For the desired smooth gradient as I (mis)interpret it, you can:

1) Select all the text, then Ungroup enough to have all the character parts as independent ungrouped paths, you can see them forming one rather long line of paths in the expanded Layer in the Layers panel;

2) Hold Ctrl/Cmd and press 8 to turn the whole set into one Compound Path, you can also see that in the Layers panel;

3) Create a large rectangle with no fill and no stroke and place it so that it extends past the characters on all sides, then hold Ctrl/Cmd and press X and then B to bring it beneath the character, as you can also see in the Layers panel;

4) Give the rectangle desired gradient, as a simple linear vertical gradient from black to yellow to red, you can see it behind the characters;

5) Select both the Compound Path of characters and the rectangle and hold Ctrl/Cmd and press 7, this Clipping Mask/clipping set will show the gradient inside the characters and gide it outside them.

This ought to give you the desired (appearance of the) gradient down through the characters.

If you wish to have the gradient follow the characters at a slanting angle, as they appear in your first screebshot, you can just set the desired angle in the Gradient panel; you can also use a slanting rectangle, but neither its shape/direction nor its size matter because any part outside the characters will be hidden.

You can read more about Clipping Masks here,

https://helpx.adobe.com/cn/search-results.html?q=Clipping+Mask&scope=[%22helpx%22]&subscope=[]&limit...

including here (first on the list),

https://helpx.adobe.com/cn/illustrator/using/clipping-masks.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information. It might take some time for me to read and understand it and translate into Chinese version's tool name I'll do it next day! Hope you the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, 皓堪.

I hope you will report your findings.

To find the Chinese name for a tool like Compound Path, you can do this, when you click the links they will show what happens:

I) Open this empty search:

https://helpx.adobe.com/search-results.html?q=&scope=%5B%22helpx%22%5D&subscope=%5B%5D&limit=10&star...

II) Enter the English name Compound Path in the search box as here, where you can see the name Compound Path in big characters on the black background:

https://helpx.adobe.com/search-results.html?q=Compound+Path&scope=%5B%22helpx%22%5D&subscope=%5B%5D&...

III) In the URL, add /cn after helpx.adobe.com so it becomes helpx.adobe.com/cn:

https://helpx.adobe.com/cn/search-results.html?q=Compound+Path&scope=[%22helpx%22]&subscope=[]&limit=10&start_index=0&sort_orderby=relevancy&sort_order=desc&post_facet_filters={%22applicable_products%22%3A[]}

Then you can see the Chinese name for Compound Path 複合路徑 to the far right in the first line under the search box, and it is repeated in blue 複合路徑 in the list of search results where you can also find Chinese instructions how to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, Mr. Bugge.

I've tried your method but my computer seemed to be unable to handle cliping mask with more than 2 characters, and I thought it might not be the effect I try to create. I must haven't explain my problum properly.

So, please let me try to explain my problem again. At first, I was watching this tutorial(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_5ojTDVVSc&t=310s) (It has an inserted sponsorship ad in the first like 1 or 2 minutes so you can skip it). And I want to do a chinese version, then the situation happened.

Blending just 2 chinese characters is totally fine, however when I blend with 3 characters, the distortion occured between second and third characters.

That's the effect I want and the problem I ran into.

Regards,

Howard Chang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us step by step what you were doing and maybe upload the Illustrator file somewhere for people to take a look.

Did you outline the text? Maybe it gets better when you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I finally found the right tool to make the paths compounded. I think it's called pathfinder.

I Merge the Charactor, the un-color the center part which supose to be a void,  then blending them, it worked!

Seems like I've been misunderstood the right name of the tool. haha

I'm thankful for all yours helps!

Best,

Howard Chang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you could solve it! And thank you for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, Mr Chang, and thank you for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines