• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blend masked groups

LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that it is not possible to make a blend between groups containing clipping masks.

Is there a workaround?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried converting the clipped objects to symbols. The symbols don't blend for me. Tried enclosing them in envelopes. The envelopes don't blend for me. The expand and flatten transparency commands seem to leave my clipped objects unscathed. The only way I could achieve a blend is destructive: I released the masks, then copied the top (masking) object and pasted in front,  then pathfinder>cropped. Blending the resulting groups produced a blend. 

Someone smarter surely knows or will find a non-destructive alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Let me correct terminology. I tried symbols and envelopes on the Clip Groups I wanted to blend. This was to no avail. I could make the blend by copying the masking objects in each Clip Group, then pasting the masking object in front, then pathfinder>crop. I did NOT need to release the Clip Groups themselves (they were released by the crop operation), but did need to recolor what was the clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround but not a real solution.

The original artwork was a simple group of strokes with a clipping path.

I copied a variation of it and then expected to be able to make a Blend between the two groups.

When this didn't work I tried colouring the clipping paths and then blending.

The resulting blend disregarded the clipping path but its colour was retained.

So on expanding the blend I could reapply the clipping mask on each step of the blend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

As far as I can see, you have just extended our knowledge to include a hitherto hidden capability of Illy/Auntie Illie. A genuine new solution; no workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob. Long time no nothing! The question still remains; why can't Auntie retain masks in blends? I can't see the logic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logic, Steve, or mysterious ways she moves in (ways that you can follow)?

Speaking of long time, have you some white to share, you know where? Here, the endless autumn has only been interrupted for a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not much of it so far here in the south. Currently blowing a northerly gale, so we get the cold without much of the white stuff.Mt. Esja with seagullMt. Esja with seagull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unusually exquisite and unwhite, Steve.

No taker tooken?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/it-is-here/m-p/3158671#M7795

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The taker isn't often tooken, but here's one of my better half taken on the "Islets of Mishap" (Hrakhólmar) the other day. These are skerries that flood quickly when the tide comes in, so you have to get your timing right.Road to RuinRoad to Ruin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried doing a blend between uncoloured objects. No problem. Works perfectly. So what is it with masking paths that makes them behave differently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines