• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blob brush grouping layer together even when they are not touching in Illustrator v25.4.1

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

As I'm drawing (using the blob brush tool) seperate shapes, Illustrator seems to sometimes randomly group certain shapes. 

I always draw like this and never had this problem, as long as the shapes are not touching, nothing was ever grouped.

Any idea what this could be?

Attached is something I just drew, and all shapes are individual shapes, but the two selected somehow are a group. I can easily ungroup them, but it's kind of annoying to do so all the time.

{Reanmed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Yes, if you are frequently drawing with the Blob brush I would use an older Illustrator version in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry about this issue. We are able to replicate this issue. I will be sharing it with the Product team, and as suggested by @Doug A Roberts, I would also request you all to upvote this issue (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43971771-unwanted-automatic-grouping-of-compound-paths-with). This way, you will keep getting all the updates related to this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's a group? Not a compound path?

Can you please check how the tool is set up regarding the joining of shapes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a group. Some are compound paths, that is okay (like when I 'add' to a drawing and it becomes one shape), but somehow certain 'non-touching' shapes just turn into a group. 

Here you can see the 'blob brush' tool options, and how some shapes are groups and some are compound paths. Note: I did NOT group the shapes that are in a group. the shortcut for grouping is Cmnd+G, and I did not accidentally do that either.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 11.22.28.pngScreenshot 2021-08-10 at 11.23.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
This first occured years ago (2017) and had to do with either creating a compound shape as you happily blob along, or not. In short: if you draw a simple shape without a hole it's not a compound path and things work fine. If though you create a shape with a hole in it (teeny tiny though it might be), it's a compound path, and Illustrator does not know which fill it uses. If you check the 'Color' panel while you draw you will notice the fill suddenly is a question mark.

After ungrouping you will get a result with 'mixed objects' while the objects were still selected: one would be that compound shape. 

Since this resulted in, as you put it, 'random groups' my students needed a workaround! I told my students that until things are fixed, if you need to blob and attach to one of the objects you drew, you should first deselect everything, then select the object you want to blob on to, and continue blobbing.

Let me know if this helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can trigger this, but it has nothing to do with changing colors. When I draw too close to specific existing compound paths, then Illustrator makes a group. I don't even need to touch those compound paths or they don't need to be selected.

That's kind of weird, actually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's exactly it I think - coming too close to a compund path and then it makes a group..

I think it's especially weird that this was never the case and now suddenly it is.. 

BUT now I found a slightly annoying workaround.. Which is if I select "merge only with selection" on the tool options, it doesn't make new groups. It also doesn't make new compound paths however, which means I would always still need to merge them, so not really a solution.

If anyone knows how to fix it? I'm trying all possible settings but it all doesn't really seem to work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Monika Gause what do you mean by 'nothing to do with changing colors'? I don't see that as a specified problem anywhere. Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may also happen with non-compound paths. Also, your workaround may help a bit, but it doesn't cure the issue completely.

As far as I can see this is a new bug in AI 2021 that is not there in AI 2019 and 2020.

You may report it on the uservoice section of this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I hope it can be fixed.. Would it make sense to install an older version of illustrator?

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43971771-unwant... I reported it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you are frequently drawing with the Blob brush I would use an older Illustrator version in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally all my problems are solved now that I switched to an older version! (also had some problems with my wacom and pen pressure).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I almost know the reason why this misbehaviour happens, but it is an assumption so far.

Will have to further investigate a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

blob_grouping_001.png

A progress report

It's a pretty mysterious thing. It may or it may not happen with any paths drawn with the Blob brush. As far as I can see the distance between the paths does not really matter. Some other factors seem to be relevant.

I've created a simple file and perhaps someone may want to have a look and report if he/she can reproduce it. You can download it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18ZGJnsSLtueqELpimEcIA8NrZRq3178H/view?usp=sharing

Instruction:

1. Unzip and open the Illustrator file.
2. Open the Layers palette and expand layer M_1.
3. Select the grey worm at the centre. Then deselect it.

Now take the Blob brush tool and draw a path that touches or crosses at least two of the coloured sectors A, B, C, D. It can be metres away from the worm.

Or draw a path that touches or crosses at least one of the coloured sectors and the centre area where the worm is located.

In both cases the unwanted groups are created. They will not be created if one draws a path that touches or crosses only one coloured sector or none of the coloured sectors at all.

Can anyone else confirm this pattern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the coloured sectors need to be there to see the behaviour or are they just a visual aid?

edit: answered my own question. They do not!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it occurs if the bounding box of the blob brush shape overlaps the previously-selected (filled) object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks Doug, I knew that the issue could probably be phrased a bit more simple.

But that's so boring! ;- )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it doesn't occur if the (new) Blob brush shape has a fill colour that is different from the previously selected filled object. So the bounding box overlapping is probably not the only factor.

Some other things make this issue pretty knotty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After lastest update of illustrator when I draw lines with blob brush they group together even when they aren' t touching. WTH?

I do one line, another line next to the first one and when i choose select tool and click either first or second both are selected. When I do ungroup via shortcuts it is not working, I must click ungroup from menu.

Can someone fix it or tell me how to fix it? It is really annoying especially when I am using blob brush for lines art in my graphic.

I CAN'T WORK PROPERLY!

Mike_ART

{Renamed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this issue. We are able to replicate this issue. I will be sharing it with the Product team, and as suggested by @Doug A Roberts, I would also request you all to upvote this issue (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43971771-unwant...). This way, you will keep getting all the updates related to this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is 2/24/2022 and I just started having this issue. Does this have a solution yet? My came out of nowhere and have not changed any settings. It's absolutely horrible to deal with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to reproduce the bug in 26.0.3. What version and OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using 24.5.1 because 26.0.3 didn't carry over my workspace settings. So it's more convient for me to use 24.5.1. 

I guess my question is, is this for sure a bug or is it a setting that needs to be changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help! I just imported/exported my workspace settings from 24.5.1 into 26.0.3 and the bug is fixed. I could have solved this on my own if I wasn't so lazy. haha. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines