• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can an Illustrator document adopt the swatches of an imported file?

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can an Illustrator document adopt the swatches of an imported file?

I want my Illustrator document to adopt the swatches of the file I am importing. Is this possible?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 methods come to mind.

Make them all into Global swatches and then you can use the Replace Swatch function from the swatches panel menu.

Or if you make the new swatches into a color group, use "Recolor art".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 12.04.34 PM.png

I have it at this point. How do I get the file to adopt the colors labeled "New"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Activate the option "Recolor Art" and then you should be able to preview the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe what exactly is happening step by step and please show screenshots of the artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a test - I have a file named logo and a file named base. Both have swatches named PRIMARY and SECONDARY (see attached). As I place the logo into the base file - even as a preview - the PLACED file adopts the swatch colors of the base file. I literelly need to do the opposite. I need the base file to adopt the swatches of the placed file.
This would be a game changer for me. Script, Plug-in - whatever it would take. Let me know if you have any thoughts or if you could put me in contact with someone. Thank you so much for your response!

StepByStep.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for the clarification, Steve.

I'm not completely sure, but I think you have detected a bug. This behaviour should not happen without first warning about a possible swatches (name) conflict and there should at least be an option to not "merge" them automatically.

Some more tests are required, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it's clear what happens. You are using spot colours with the same names. Sorry, I overlooked that.

In that case the automatic merging is kind of normal since it "always" worked that way without a warning. Personally, I don't like that behaviour and I don't think that it is right at all. There should be a warning message with options to merge or add the swatches as one will normally get when transfering process colour swatches.

Of course, this does not solve your actual issue. It's just a note.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there should be an additional option besides Merge and Add: Replace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Replace!
So, does anyone know how to communicate this directly to Adobe?
I'm in no rush. Wednesday would be fine for an update... 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

post your request to UserVoice, but don't hold your breath. If you're lucky it could get fixed on the next release. If you're unlucky it could take decades.

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open that vector file that contains the swatches you need. Copy and paste into your new illustrator file and the swatches will appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open any Illustrator file from the Swatch Library panel (select Other Library) and it will open the swatches from that file. 

It will import spot swatches that are used in the artwork in a placed Illustrator document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. You can import Swatches libraries from any Illustrator document (other library):

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.48.00 AM.png

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines