• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I change Illustrator's Script folder location?

Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to change the location of where illustrator looks for scripts, or is it possible to add a location?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Yes, easy... use a ntfs junction (windows) or symlink (mac). I can confirm this works on Windows, and should do also on Mac OS.

On a Window machine with CS6, the process would be:

1. make a folder inside your dropbox for the scripts, e.g. "C:\Users\Matt\Dropbox\Illustrator Scripts"  (where Matt is your username)

2. rename the original scripts folder to "Scripts.old" or similar, it's located in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Presets\en_GB"  (where CS6 and en_GB match your ver

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if it is possible from what I have seen. But I could be un/misinformed. 😉

You can have a slug script per say, that is merely used as a reference file, that uses an #include statement to reference a script location.

// Example:

#include /origPath/subPath/continuedPath/blahBlah/fileLocation/scriptName.js

I did also see the following, which talks about going in and manually altering presets, which may be an option but not too simple to maintain perhaps. If it does work let us know.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4753174

Hope something proves useful, keep us posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scripts use trusted locations. While it may be possible to do some work arounds why are you wanting to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@WJT, thank you for referencing that post.  I can not seem to locate any of the files they are talking about, maybe they've changed some things in CC?

@MuppetMark, I'd like to sync the scripts folder with an online cloud service like dropbox so that anytime I update a script it will roll out to all my client machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jsavage77 wrote:

@WJT, thank you for referencing that post.  I can not seem to locate any of the files they are talking about, maybe they've changed some things in CC?

I am not a Captive Creative member so I don't know about any changes that may have been made. They probably made it so users could no longer do things, unless you pay extra. (ha, ha) 😉

jsavage77 wrote:

I'd like to sync the scripts folder with an online cloud service like dropbox so that anytime I update a script it will roll out to all my client machines.

You can use an #include to access a location across a network drive (central location), not sure if that would help you. No idea if something such as dropbox or the like would be possible however, or how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 25, 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a plugin called "Script Bay" which lets you load a custom palette with scripts from all kinds of locations and they become kind of like buttons in the actions palette.  And I think it lets you make edits and test your scripts while in AI.  However, when I just installed it and attempted to run it, trying to add a script folder kept crashing my CS5.  (O_o)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried scriptbay before and it's been very buggy for me. I'm not sure it's been updated in a while either as the web site is talking about CS5...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, easy... use a ntfs junction (windows) or symlink (mac). I can confirm this works on Windows, and should do also on Mac OS.

On a Window machine with CS6, the process would be:

1. make a folder inside your dropbox for the scripts, e.g. "C:\Users\Matt\Dropbox\Illustrator Scripts"  (where Matt is your username)

2. rename the original scripts folder to "Scripts.old" or similar, it's located in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Presets\en_GB"  (where CS6 and en_GB match your version and locale)

3. run the command prompt with administrator rights

4. change into the Illustrator presets folder, e.g. "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Presets\en_GB"

5. create the junction point, e.g.  mklink /j "Scripts" "C:\Users\Matt\Dropbox\Illustrator Scripts"

6. The root of the Illustrator scripts menu will now be C:\Users\Matt\Dropbox\Illustrator Scripts

The process should be very similar on the mac.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks timeshiftingnz! This is exactly what I need!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great tip, thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Feeling really silly but I can't seem to make this work 😞

And it's exactly what I'm after!

Any chance of a quick video demonstration, pretty please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines