Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I remove large canvas setting?

Participant ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

I work with really large set designs.  A current project I'm workign on is 110 feet long and 12 feet tall.

I created that cavas size in illustrator and worked to scale.  However I'm breaking down the wall into 4 ft by 8 ft panels.

So I've broken down the wall designs into those panels and placed them onto individual artboards.  I've saved them out at PDFs.  I need to save them out as DXF's but I no longer have that option becasue I'm in large scale. However I thought If I opend up the 4x8 PDF I would be able to export it from there.  HOWEVER when i open it, even thought the artboard is only 4x8 and I only have 1 artboard.  AI still seems to think this is large canvas size and I do not get the option to export as a DXF or DWG.

Any thoughts?  Really need to get these panels out as a DXF to my CNC guy.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Scripting , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have exceeded the max size limits for file formats.

You should be working at 50% split up into panels. I would build max 2x4 ft panels.

Your CNC guy will enlarge using his software to full size. Since its all vector it wont degrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally understand that.  Unfortunately, the art is already created with many layers which I need to keep.  The art is created in AI to scale and no matter what- if I scale everything down so the entie art is fit's in one artboard that is 2'x4" my AI still will not export out as a DXF.  The setting isn't available because AI on this doc thinks it's still a large doc.  I have to open a new file and cut/copy/paste everything, layer by layer.   This is too much for the 40+ walls i have.  What I'd like to do is just remove the Large Document "Function/setting/parameter" from my current document.  Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have to open a new file and cut/copy/paste everything, layer by layer."

When you turn on Paste remembers Layers in the Layers panel menu, layers will be replicated in the new document. So you can select all and paste into a new document without losing layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a great tip and really helpfull thanks.

Still anyone on how to revert a large scale Ai doc back to small scale?  Without cutting and pasting into a new document Is it even possible?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not aware of a way to change large canvas back to a regular one.

You could make a feature request here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved a copy of a large canvas document to svg, opened the svg in illustrator and it let me export to DXF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That almost works for me.

My document is a large wall... I've broken it up into 42, 8 x 4 foot panels.  Each panel is on an artboard.

If I "Save As SVG" I can save the Artboards..  I end up with 42 files, but each file has the entire wall in it.  Not just the panel.  However, this process does retain the layering.

If I export as "SVG" each artboard exports individually BUT I lose the layering and the SVG collapses the files layers into 1 layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

damn, almost, back to the drawing board 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines