• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I save a logo on the desktop?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a company that uses its logo on all our pieces. But, they are never in the same location.

What I am wondering is, if I could create a logo in Illustrator as a vector and copy it to my desktop. Then when I need to place the logo I could just drag the logo off of the desktop into my document where it comes up as a vector again. But, the original art that I copied remains on the desktop.  This would be a lot easier than opening the document with the logo in it and copying it then placing it in the new document and closing the original document again.

Can this be done?

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

You can created a logo in illustrator, save it to your desktop. And you can place that logo on to an indesign layout (s) for future use. Just remember to package every time so a new instance of that logo go with that particular layout/project.

If you are and adobe cloud subscriber you can do an even better set up and create a library for each of your brands or clients. add the logo to it from illustrator and the swatches that go with that brand. This way it will be save in every one of your adob

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what sort of documents are you placing it into?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in Illustrator and just for ease of use want to have the logo on the desktop so I can just drag it from the desktop, into my new illustrator document and have it remain a vector file.  My thought is that if it is a vector file I won't have to worry about including all the graphic files when I send to the printer.  If I could just place the vector file into the new document from a file on the desktop (I don't know why but the clipping comes to mind in this case), it would be a lot quicker than going to the folder where the files are kept looking for the one I want, opening the document, copying the art, closing the file and placing it in the new file. 

I hope this makes some sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MaggieWeasely,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.
Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,
Bali

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bali,

I got the drag and drop option to work.  I dragged the vector file out of our base document and it became a clipping file on the desktop. Now when I drag it back into the illustrator document it is still a vector file.  Easy and quick to insert into new documents.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Maggie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can created a logo in illustrator, save it to your desktop. And you can place that logo on to an indesign layout (s) for future use. Just remember to package every time so a new instance of that logo go with that particular layout/project.

If you are and adobe cloud subscriber you can do an even better set up and create a library for each of your brands or clients. add the logo to it from illustrator and the swatches that go with that brand. This way it will be save in every one of your adobe applications and ready to be dragged into your layouts/projects from the library panel.

If is fine if you want to keep a graphics in your desktop for use and re-use, but do remember to package your files for catalog and archive purposes. If you have to hand off things to somebody else and or the folder changes locations ( form a local drive to share drive) you may have missing links.

here is a link to how to package your files:

Package files for handoff |

Ps: be mindful of how many things you keep on your desktop. Remember that the more stuff you have on your desktop the more stuff your computer has to remember to keep available on the desktop. To improve your performance it is better to catalog things in your documents folder and create a shortcut to it on your desktop.

I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd recommend adding the logo to a Creative Cloud Library. You can share the library so that it can be used by you at any machine or by any of your co-workers. If you have multiple types of logos (color, bw, reverse), they can all go in that library. And if you need to update that logo, double click on it to open and update it. Then it's changed in the library where you and your team will be able to access the new version and in any document that uses it. Also if it's in a CC Library, you can access it in Illustrator or in InDesign and other Creative Cloud apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be a few advantages to just keeping one logo on the desktop.  Especially if there are other versions and/or colors ( RGB web based comes to mind ).  Absolutely no reason why you wouldn't be able to drag and drop as you've mentioned in your original post.  That's not how I do it, but that does not mean it cannot be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the document containing your logo.

Store each version of the logo as a Symbol.

Copy an instance of each Symbol.

Open each of Illustrator's default templates that you use, and paste the instances. Then delete them. The Symbols will remain in the Symbols palette.

Thereafter, whenever you start a new document from any of the templates, Symbols of your logo will be in the Symbols palette.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One of the easiest questions that I came across is how we can save the logo on the desktop. At some times, it was a difficult task for me as well.  Because I didn't know about the computer and mobile in deep. When I started designing and exploring the online world. Things get easier because I find the solutions. I remember when I had my first client for designing a logo for their skateboarding institute and guidance to everyone. I faced a lot of difficulties while creating it but after some research, I found the solution. Just make sure in which format you want. You can watch youtube videos as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines