• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't edit text in .ai file after Illustrator recently updated??

Contributor ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently Illustrator updated in past day or so, preventing me from editing existing live (not outlined) text in several .ai files I had saved in recent days... there is a "workaround" that I found from past problems with this in Illustrator.

workaround from way back in 2014: Solved: Suddenly can't edit live type in an Illustrator fi... - Adobe Support Community - 5799618

Very frustrating that I have to use an 8 year old workaround for this.

And the update was from the most recent 25.x ver to 26.1 (I have auto updates on.)

Besides not being able to edit the text, it won't even let me select it with any selection tools - only way to select it to click on the actual layer in the Layers Panel.

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which workaround in that topic worked for you? There are several different issues in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

copying the text layer (once I was able to get it selected) and then pasting in a new file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and forgot to mention, I was never prompted for Legacy Text on the affected files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text in ai file might not be able to be edited directly when it's not raw in illustrator. Maybe try to select a new text ai. file to replace it,  or create a new edit over it. Check your layers panel, it is possible the object is eligible for editing. There's me trying to help. 

--KujiFox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I typed text on a path in this file, did not outline it, saved the file as .ai file week or so ago and when I opened it this morning, I cannot edit or select the text on the path within the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the issue specifically with text on a path or any text in an older file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't checked yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I opened a file from over a month ago that contained plain text (not aligned to a path), I get the following prompt when I click on it to edit with Type tool:

Soundgarden_0-1648218182714.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the orginal text file and the version of illustrator is was used in. If you were using an older version of illustrator you might not be able to edit it without changing the layout.See if you can find a text path and you could try to import the orginal text file that could be directly editable. But you said this was a month ago?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using ver 25.x and my Illustrator updated to ver 26.1 - I have auto updates on, frustrating if recent update causes text in some of my files get out of whack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Idk this works on all platforms but I can open old files in a previous version of illustartor but only if the previous version shows as a seperate app .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines