• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't expand strokes

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2015 Jun 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This annoying problem tends to happen when I create really complex effects in the Appearance panel. Now, I have this compound path that has a stroke, but I can't expand the stroke to a fill like any other shape. I've even isolated it onto its own document and still the problem persists. What did I mess up and how can I turn these strokes to outlines?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42704237/help.ai

I am on Illustrator CS5 (from the CS5.5 suite) on Windows 8.1.

I've never encountered this problem before and apparently no one else has either. Expand only makes the compound path a group each time. The stroke align seems to have something to do with it, but it's essential that I outline it in the "center" mode.

TOPICS
Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

The problem

This happens because the stroke you're trying to expand is a compound path and not really a single stroke as it appears.

How to solve it

Select the path or group of paths you'd like to expand, under object, go to compound path, and select release (Alt+Shift+Ctrl+8).

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I reinstalled windows and had to download illustrator again I had this problem not being able to explain my strokes. Before I never had to do anything wierd just to make me able to expland my strokes but using the pathfinder/divide now is not all that bad which makes me able to expand. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem

This happens because the stroke you're trying to expand is a compound path and not really a single stroke as it appears.

How to solve it

Select the path or group of paths you'd like to expand, under object, go to compound path, and select release (Alt+Shift+Ctrl+8).

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been more than 7 years since I reported this. And even on the current version of Illustrator, this happens.

But it's true, this happens because it's a compound path, but it doesn't seem to be consistent. For example, if I convert a shape to a compound path, or make a simple donut shape Compound Path, expanding strokes works as expected. It's only when I try to Expand a Compound Path within a Compound Path where it just turns it into a group. This cannot be intentional because it just doesn't feel intuitive.

I tried reproducing the steps in a recording and it was difficult to do so, but I kind of understand when it happens. It almost seems random since I swear I did the steps the same way, then when I went to record it, it didn't work. But please check out the recording.

First, I turn both separate Ellipses into a Compound Path. Then I draw another ellipse over the big one to punch it out with the Shape Builder tool. Attempting to Expand the result turned it into a Group and did not Expand strokes. I undo and then turn it into a Group instead. Then I repeat the hole punch-out step. This time, Expand did work.

And I know one time I tried this, it even added the stray circle to a group it was never even in, but I couldn't reproduce it.

It's certainly odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, observe these two seemingly identical Compound Paths. Because of how the one on the right was created, it won't Expand. But the one on the left will. Is this not a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object > Path > Outline stroke does not do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply but I'm just now following up on this. If the stroke gets stuck such as in the example video I provided, Object > Path > Outline Stroke does actually outline the stroke. However, on the original file I provided, it still won't work on the stroked letters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works sometimes, but not other times, then it's likely a corrupt file or corrupt objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd agree with @Monika Gause If there's a specific file that gives you this issue, there's sometihng unique to that file...an issue with stray points, an open path or, who knows. I've had the same issue and I can't quite put my finger on why it happens with some files or objects an not with others. Just check to see that there isn't a hidden sublayer in there with some appearance attribute. Its honestly such a head frying issue, I can find no consistency in objects/paths that cause this issue and those that dont.

One thing that always seems to work for me however is, prior to expanding the objects, is to select it/them, then go to Object > Flatten transparency then try expanding. Just make sure to set the Flatten transparency to 300dpi, (The maximum resolution and detail settings).

Hopefully that works. Doesn't help in figuring out why this seems to sporadically happen though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sublayers with appearance attributes are a good thing and usually do not cause issues in themselves.

Corrupt objects just can happen to anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is more of a bug than anything. the problem has been there for years and years. Current version in august 2023 still has it. And its super unreliable, you can hit expand 3 times and sometimes the third time works so...

The problem with going into compound path and release it is that you're actually trying to combine the outline and fill so you want that done in a single click, it completely sabotage the workflow to deselect and select just the keyline and release that and then do the whole thing all over again because compound path is not selectable while the layer with both fill and outline is selected.

So fix this bug once for all. Some of us has to do this action 1000 times every day so its a very very annoying thing to encounter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@MindGems  schrieb:

Yes, this is more of a bug than anything. the problem has been there for years and years.

If you encounter it, please upload the file.

Also: if you want something fixed, then this is not your channel. This public forum is 95% volunteers. We cannot fix anything. You want to post to https://illustrator.uservoice.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines