• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Expand to a group of Stroked Objects after Transforming a Stroked Object.

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 26.0.2, macOS Monterey Versoin 12.0.1, iMac 2021

I have a stroked object that I used the Transform tool on. I duplicated the object vertically. After trasnforming the object, all duplicated versions are treated as one unit. Prior to today, I could Expand the shapes and they'd turn into individual stroked objects where I could edit each individually. However, I only have the option to Expand Appearance, which turns them all into filled objects with no stroke. This is a problem because I need to edit each one indidually as a stroked object. Has anyone else run into this? Is there a way to fix it?

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Do you use a basic stroke or something more complex (variable line width, brush, etc.)? Can you change the existing stroke to the usual basic line? Can you set the stroke as "None", edit the objects and then add the stroke again? Did you group the objects before adding the stroke? 

Many questions are difficult to answer without at least the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the Appearance panel and the Layers panel with the items expanded when you have your problem object selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use a basic stroke or something more complex (variable line width, brush, etc.)? Can you change the existing stroke to the usual basic line? Can you set the stroke as "None", edit the objects and then add the stroke again? Did you group the objects before adding the stroke? 

Many questions are difficult to answer without at least the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ton Frederiks , @Anna Lander - I did not realize you couldn't have a complex stroke when using Expand. I changed it to a basic line, then expanded, then added the brush effect and it worked. I also can't believe I haven't come across this in the 5+ years I've been using Illustrator. 😆 Thank you both very much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines