Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't export layers from Illustrator to Photoshop

New Here ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I want to export an Illustrator file into a PSD and make changes to the design in Photoshop (as I have no idea how to use Illustrator!). However, whenever I copy over, it flatters to one image. I read online the layers should be ungrouped, but when i try to do this, i get a message stating "Can't ungroup the objects". Here is the file WeTransfer ​, please help!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to keep layers, you need to export to PSD from Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep I've tried that, but it exports it as one layer into Photoshop. I can't get it to export the layers separately for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - I downloaded the artwork (I don't think the license covers that you post it on a forum)

Everything is in one clipping mask. You would have to release it to separate all the things.

Then put everything on their own main layers (and hope you don't ruin the artwork)

But then you might still not be able to export it, because of the blend modes used in some overlays.

Cut long story short: editing it in Illustrator you have a good chance to be able to change the text, but you will have to delete the text and then create new text objects in the correct place.

You could check out my tutorials:

Vector Clipart: The Missing Manual: Text - YouTube

The Vector Clip Art Missing Manual: Selecting Objects - YouTube

The Vector Clip Art Missing Manual: Glow - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika's suggestions worked for me! (P.S. You saved my life. I was on a deadline to deliver a website and did NOT have the time to remake the whole thing)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also try exporting png files with transparency individually and putting them back together in Photoshop if that gets you something you can work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Here are some steps for a few common workflows between Photoshop and Illustrator: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html

Also, if you are looking to work with Illustrator design in Photoshop? See this:  https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/use-illustrator-artwork-in-photoshop.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines