• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get editable multi-page PDFs open

Advocate ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday for the first time I tried opening a PDF in Illustrator to grab some content from a document I'm converting.

Rather than the typical clipping path/masked/grouped stuff that needs to be released, the page just showed up as a single, uneditable object.

Tried it again this morning with the same results.

Both files have no security enabled.

The content in both clearly contains vectors (e.g. text) but when viewed as Outline, nothing is visible.

[edit] This seems to be happening with multi-page PDFs when all pages are imported.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Mentor , Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

There's a choice when you open a multi-page pdf to have the pages as links, or to be fully (usual pdf caveat) editable... see below...

Mulipage.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate , Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Hi -sorry for the delay.... yes, but it looks like a computer restart (vs. just CC) did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I suspect you know, opening PDF's that weren't built and saved in Illustrator isn't really an intended workflow. Without knowing the origin and construct of the PDF contents in detail, it's hard to diagnose the issue. Are you able to share one of those PDF's?

[edit] This seems to be happening with multi-page PDFs when all pages are imported.

Does that mean if you open only a specific page, the result is different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John-

Sorry, content is confidential.

However, as you note, yes - when I open single pages, they're editable as they would normally be.
I anticipated simply having a number of pages opened & editable; I guess there's some use for opening all pages in a document without the content being editable. Not for what I need to do, though 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a choice when you open a multi-page pdf to have the pages as links, or to be fully (usual pdf caveat) editable... see below...

Mulipage.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work, but I'm getting ready for a restart. Often that seems to "fix" some of these issues... will report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did UNcheck "Import PDF pages as links" right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi -sorry for the delay.... yes, but it looks like a computer restart (vs. just CC) did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Embed available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines