I'm using Illustrator CC 25.4.1, on an old Mac Pro running Mojave 10.14.6. My GPU is an Nvidia GTX 650, with 2 GB VRAM, and I have 48GB RAM. Lately, after years of success, I've been unable to open more than one Illustrator file at a time. That definitely queers the do. And, presumably because of the age of the computer (late 2012), I can't update the OS, and thus can't update the version of Illustrator. At least that' my presumption. When I try to update Illustrator or any other Adobe CC product, the update is listed as "Not compatible". So need to find a way around this problem. If I have to stay with AI version 25.4.1 or even drop back to an earlier version, fine. I just need something that works properly. Any Suggestions?
(note-I wrote a less-informative version of this post elsewhere in the forum)
Sorry to hear about your experience. I would request you to share a few more details like:
We are here to help. We just need more information.
Thanks & Regards,
What size are the Illy docs you're trying to open? Do they have lots of placed files? Vector or pixel?
Here's the solution, Courtesy of Monika Gause:
I still dn't know why the one-file-at-a-time-only phenomenon showed up, but because nothing I knew to try could fix it, I decided that my only recourse was to re-install a clean version of Illustrator. Ordinarily, that can't be done, but the above link took me to a CC page that saved the day. For those on computers that are too old to update out of Mojave to Big Sur, it is possible to re-install a fresh version of the application immediately preceding the update-in other words, my version of Illustrator, version 25.4.1, the last version that can run on Mojave. I followed the instructions, installed AI anew, and it works fine. No problem opening multiple files at a time. I still don't know why the problem appeared when it did, but it no longer matters.
Correction : Installing a clean version of Illustrator CAN be done ordinarily, but in my case, the newly-updated version was the only one available-I thought-and it was "non-compatible" with my system.