• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't open the illustration. There is not enough room for the window; increase document area and try

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm in CS4 and trying to open an eps file and get the message:

Can't open the illustration. There is not enough room for the window; increase document area and try again.

The file won't even open, and I've never had this message before. Does anyone know how to fix or deal with this?

Thanks,

Michael

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

I've just had the same problem. The illustrator windows shrunk and and said won't open it but then if you maximize the window it will do. WEIIIIIRRDDD but works!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your valuable insights, @JasonSWrench. I am able to replicate the same behavior on my end. I will check it with the product & engineering team. Thanks again for your help!

Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happens to me on Windows 10: usually when I shift+drag a PDF to Illustrator on the taskbar to open it. Illustrator is maximised, then when I drag the file on to open it, it shrinks to a tiny window and gives me the "not enough room" message. I mean, there was plenty of room until you shrank it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Andrew_Inner_North,

Thank you for letting us know about this issue. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. We have tried addressing this issue in the latest version of Illustrator, v27.3.1. Would you mind updating your Illustrator to the latest version and letting us know if the issue persists?

I will be looking forward to your response.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was on the latest but I wasn't! Did the update and here are the results (again, Windows 10) with me closing the document again after each try:

1. With Illustrator closed, shift+drag PDF to taskbar: the PDF opens up OK, although for a moment the Illustrator window flashes at the very small size at the top left the screen. The doc opened full screen though.

2. With Illustrator open, shift+drag PDF to the taskbar: Illustrator window shrunk down to the minimal size at the top left of the screen (see screenshot), however importantly it didn't come up with an error that the window was too small: I just had to maximise it again.

3. With Illustrator open, open the PDF using recent files: opens fine (although I think it always did using that route)

4. With Illustrator open, right click and "open with" Illustrator: works fine

5. With Illustrator open, shift+drag PDF to the taskbar: opens fine

6. With Illustrator open, shift+drag PDF to the taskbar: opens in tiny window

7. With Illustrator open, right click and "open with" Illustrator: works fine

8. With Illustrator open, shift+drag PDF to the taskbar: opens fine

9. With Illustrator open, shift+drag PDF to the taskbar: opens in tiny window

10. With Illustrator open, open the PDF using recent files: opens fine

11. With Illustrator open, shift+drag PDF to the taskbar: opens in tiny window

It's odd that if you open it using recent files, the next time you shift+drag to the taskbar it will work, but the second time it won't. Anyway, hope that helps: the most important thing is that it no longers gives and error and simply opens the document, allowing you to maximise the window and get on with things. I count it as a win!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for updating us on your experience with Illustrator, v27.3.1 @Andrew_Inner_North. We're glad to hear that the issue with the window size has been resolved for you and that you're able to open your PDF files without receiving an error message.

We also wanted to let you know that we just released version v27.4 in a phased manner, which is available in certain countries. If you haven't received the update yet, we recommend updating once it becomes available in a few days for all. We have checked the behavior you reported on a Mac machine on v27.4 and were not able to replicate the scenario you described.

Additionally, we suggest resetting the Ai preferences and checking if that makes any changes to this behavior. If you encounter any other issues or have further feedback, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Anshul, I'll look out for it. I'm on Windows though if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like I have a different account logged in with Edge (which IT insists my comput default to every morning...) I'm Andrew_Inner_North though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines