• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't paste an object - will fall off the drawing area?

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2011 May 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to copy and paste a graphic into another illustrator file I get the message: "Can't paste the objects. The requested transformation would make some objects fall completely off the drawing area?" Can anybody help with this? Do I need to change a pref setting? I'm using illus cs5. Thanks!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 22, 2014 Jul 22, 2014

View > Guide > Clear Guides

If you select and delete guides with the direct-selection tool (white arrow), it leaves behind the top and bottom points of the guide, which are out in space. Use the selection tool (black arrow) to select and delete guides. Clearing them should fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi remos
Know this is a bit late in the discussion... but just some information that might be relevant
When you do a normal paste "ctrl + v" whatever you are pasting will aways position itself in the middle of your screen.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks so much for this tip ive been stuck for 3 days trying to solve this problem and your'e the only comment that helped me !! 8 years later and its still helpful lol xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2015 Dec 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply do the following:-

View->Guides->Clear Guides

It resolves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks machi... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this info.  If you don't want to clear all your guides, just make sure you delete or move any guides out from the layers you are trying to copy/paste.  Worked for me. 

I usually put all my guides on a separate layer but sometimes I accidentally create one in a layer containing artwork. This happened to me on this file and so when I selected all my artwork layers (accidentally including a guide) and tried to copy/paste them, it gave me this error due to the guide being in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super helpful. I had released guides, and then didn't delete the two anchor points when I deleted the guide. So, I used the lasso to select my drawing, then went to the toolbar and hit Select>Inverse then hit the delete key to delete those two points out in space. Problem solved. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem (also using cs5), but I could not find my solution anywhere on the internet so I thought I would drop it here.

The error message in question would occur when I tried pasting a graph from Excel to AI. I had no problem with other graphs, but this one graph in particular kept giving me the error. Turns out I had an erronious value of a very large quantity as part of the graph, let's pretend it was 99,999,999,999. Even though it was being "clipped out" in Excel by using a date range that occurred outside of the erronius data point, when the graph is coppied into AI, the data extends back to that data point and shot the graph "off of the drawing area". Got rid of the data point and the problem was resolved. 

Image below shows how information is stored beyond the <clipping path> of the graph pasted into AI.

Robbie5C27_0-1604178456902.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Paste in Front/Back, it honours the zero point set in each document, so if your zero points are different, it will definitely place in an unexpected place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also try Ctrl/Cmd+A to see what you have, and maybe have a surprise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines