• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't paste anything into illustrator: always get empty "x" box.

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening since last week. Anytime I try to copy and past an object (simple or complex), Illustrator assumes a bug. I get a "object" box with an x, I can't do anything with, nor resize or recolor. The name of the object automatically sets to "path" or an infinity of leters and numbers if it happens to be an object like a linked photo. Tried the Manual Copy and Paste with the mouse and it doesn't work either.

Shift + Alt DRAG still work to duplicate objects, which is the reason this bug is driving me insane. My workflow is completely ruined, so I'd really like to get a fix on this. 

Working on a Windows machine, fully updated and with all adobe software updated as well.

In the linked image, there's the butterfly I SHIFT + ALT DRAGed to duplicate, and in the middle, the error i got from pasting. 

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to check if there is some other app interfering with the clipboard.

Restart your machine and make sure that only Illustrator is running.

If that fails, try to Reset Preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried all of this but no luck. I had already tried to unnistall and install again the past weekend, but to no avail. 

Just retried the unnistall/ install process and it seems to have fixed the issue!

I'm hoping the problem doesn't pop up again. For now it is SOLVED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear it works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming back here to update on something I've found out. So, there is a app that is creating conflict with the clipboard. It seems to only trouble Illustrator though. Windows Snipping Tool is the culprit. Sad to say the problem might've come with one of windows 11 latest updates. I didn't have any problem with these two apps working at the same time. Hoping it will get solved soon,  there is really nothing one can do, but to not use the snipping tool whilst using illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PS: Even if you're not using the snipping tool, illustrator seems to refuse to copy and past any basic but complex objects (i'm not even talking about meshes, just plain costum objects). A basic arch form wont paste 🙂 
I really don't understand what is going on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines