• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't rotate or scale objects with selection tool

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past week, I've been unable to use the selection tool to rotate or scale objects

The only solution I've found online is to "Show Bounding Box," but my bounding box is already shown. It has nothing to do with that. I can see the bounding box and the anchor points, it's just that my selection tool won't change into the rotate or scale tool when it hovers over the anchor points.

I've been using the Free Transform Tool for now, but it's getting really annoying. I'd really like to fix this. Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Have you tried resetting preferences? How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

To anyone who might still have this problem, mine got solved by choosing "Show bounding box" from the "View" tab.
The default shortcut on Windows is Shift + Ctrl + B 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Thanks for sharing the details. I would request you try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

• Close all Adobe applications and go to the following location
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
    Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings.old

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings & create a new folder

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHat kind of objects?

If those are rectanlges, circles or the like, can you try and zoom in? Does it get better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only objects I can adjust are rectangles and circles. Everything else, like groups, images, text, etc, I can't adjust.

Zooming in doesn't do anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting preferences? How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped! I didn't reset them, but I went into my "Selection and Anchor Display" preference menu, and saw that "Hide corner widget for angles greater than 177" was selected. Not sure how this happened, but this solved my problem.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAD THE EXACT SAME THING !

But how could this happen ?

I've never been in this menu in my life ?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem  - I deselected that option, but it's still not working for me. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - after going into the Preferences under 'Selection and Anchor Display' and unticking 'Hide corner widget for angles greater than 177' it still didn't show the curved arrow for me, but i found that if you click outside the shape like you would anyway, hold down and move the cursor, the shape will actually rotate freely. I have no idea why the curved arrow to indicate the ability to rotate has vanished, but acting as if it is still there sems to fix it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rotate-cursor.jpg

I use Adobe Illustrator 2022 and have the same problem, as default715oixcl4vo7 said On objects like rectangles and circles, the rotation cursor was not shown at the corners, although if we hold and move the mouse, the object rotates (left). There is no problem with groups or objects drawn with the Pen tool (right).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rahimzadeh,

We are sorry for the trouble and delayed response. As asked by Monika, have you tried the solution marked & pinned above? Do they help resolve the issue or not? If not, would you mind sharing a few details like:

• The exact version of Illustrator & OS
  • Is this happening with a specific file only or all? Is it a new file or an old one?
  • Are you using any external monitor?
  • Please check if turning off GPU performance from Illustrator Preferences > Performance makes any difference.

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes me toooo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is 2 pages long - did you read everything and tried out everything? What did you already try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the literally same problem, thank you for helping us, sir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift + Command / CTRL + B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This saved me! What is this shortcut for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is to show/hide the bounding box, but the original poster specifically stated that it wasn't the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i use ctrl+shift+b and its work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this problem today (12/15/2021) and I've tried resetting my preferences, unticking the 'Hide corner widget for angles greater than 177', updating AI in my Creative Cloud and restarting my computer.

Any additional help and I'm trying to learn AI and it's frustrating that this tool which gets used so frequently just disappeared in my program.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screenshor of your workspace with an object selected using the Selection tool (black arrow)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the screenshot below - you can see my cursor NOT turning into the curved arrow at the top right of the blue box:

20211215_112001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES its happen to me now. how can i fix this ? please someone help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't figured out WHY this works or if there is a setting to change this, but once you "Expand Shape" - you will get the curved arrow back to manipulate the object you've highlighed.

Jeffrey22263211q5fn_0-1640785530326.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jeffrey22263211q5fn,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please share a few more details like:

• The exact version of Illustartor
  • Is this happening in this file only or all?
  • Screenshot of the Layers panel
  • Share the download link of the file here or via DM. We'll take a look at it.

We will be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anshul,

• Exact Version of Illustrator is 26.0.2 which my Cloud tells me is up to date
  • This happens with all files, even when I create a brand new file and place one rectangle on it
  • Screenshot of Layers panel below. New document with a single rectangle

Jeffrey22263211q5fn_0-1641332077410.png

Because it happens on all files, I didn't include a download link to a specific file.

I look forward to a reply.

Jeff 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. I would request you try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

• Close all Adobe applications and go to the following location
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
    Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings.old

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings & create a new folder in their place. You can revert to your old settings by deleting these newly created folders & removing the .old from the renamed folders.

• Rename the CEP folder to CEP.old from the following location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe
  • If that doesn't help, rename the UXP folder to UXP.old from the following locations:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\
  • If that doesn't help either, uninstall the application using the CC Cleaner tool and restart the system (most important) reinstall from the Creative Cloud Desktop app.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines