Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Can't save file 'this file cannot be found' error

Participant ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I've been working on a file for a cople of days that's on my desktop. Today I opened the file, made some edits and hit CMD + S and saw this error...

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 9.37.05 AM.png

Things I've tried...

1. Copying the art into a new document and saving
  2. Saving the new document to different disks (all local, no servers)
  3. Creating a blank document with nothing in it and saving

Bascially, I can't save anything - has anyone else seen this?

Cheers

Ben

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021
I think I know why this is happening. I have 2 Adobe accounts - one that has full access and one that only has free access. A mistake I made a while back was setting up an adobe stock account using my free account instead of my paid account, so to buy stock images, I have to log out of the account that my Illustrator, Photoshop, etc programs are connected to, log into my free one, get the images I want, save, and log out. When this same issue happened to me, I was logged into the free account th...

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no matter what you are trying to save and which name, you can't save it? And always that same error?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika, that's correct. It still happens even if I quit, reopen, create a new doc and try to save it.

Will try another computer restart when I'm back at work later this morning.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Drives me crazy. This is my workaround, but it's always risky: Quit illustrator via the task manager. This will (most of the time) generate file recovery information. When I open illustrator again, I can save the recovered file.

Adobe pls fix this. Your prices are awfully steep considering you make your software worse and our work harder with every update.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, but was definitely a roll of the dice

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Same problem happened to me today and I was able to fix it with your great advice!

Thanks you very much 🙂

By the way, before I have quitted Illustrator via the task manager I've copied all of the content so if this won't work I will have a solution.

Thanks again 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Happened a few days ago and now.  Created new file, added some shapes, file Save to a folder on my data drive, type in name and AI type same error.  Tried Save As same result.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you trying to save?

Does the file or folder name contain any special characters?

Is it very long?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file name is Arches.ai

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you saving? On a network?

Are there special characters in the folder names?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the folder is text no characters.  I had a file in the folder (on my hard drive) named arch.jpg, once I removed it from the folder I was able to save my AI file.  Very odd.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That really is odd, but great you could solve it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having the same issue, both times it was with the first file I worked on after opening AI.

Terry

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing just happened to me.  I was able to save as an .svg first then I tried again as an .ai and it just suddenly worked.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That just worked for me - thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @betsyg17920228 ! Saved my day 🙂

The only downside is that when you work with multiple layers you'll now have only one layer with your previously created layers as groups inside. You'll have to release these back to layers and rename all layers back to what you had again. A little more time-consuming, but works!

Hope this issue will be fixed soon.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That saved my 2 days worth of work! Thanks @betsyg17920228 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU, saved my afternoon

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  One of my students had this same issue and the SVG --> AI file thing worked!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me as well. First save as .SVG and hereafter as .AI again. I got this message after removing Adobe desktop apps in my local language and reinstalling them in the English languages. Another underlying cause might be that these files were prepared in an old Adobe version (before creative cloud).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me when I attempted to clear my temp files (Photoshop would edit the smallest thing due to space). I've just uninstalled all my apps and reinstalled them - so far so good. might be worth a try. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started happening to me as well.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happend to me as well. First Adobe breaks "save as" in Photoshop and now saving in Illustrator doesn't work at all.  What's happening over there?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines