Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save file 'this file cannot be found' error

Engaged ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I've been working on a file for a cople of days that's on my desktop. Today I opened the file, made some edits and hit CMD + S and saw this error...

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 9.37.05 AM.png

Things I've tried...

1. Copying the art into a new document and saving
  2. Saving the new document to different disks (all local, no servers)
  3. Creating a blank document with nothing in it and saving

Bascially, I can't save anything - has anyone else seen this?

Cheers

Ben

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 7 Correct answers

Explorer , Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

I think I know why this is happening. I have 2 Adobe accounts - one that has full access and one that only has free access. A mistake I made a while back was setting up an adobe stock account using my free account instead of my paid account, so to buy stock images, I have to log out of the account that my Illustrator, Photoshop, etc programs are connected to, log into my free one, get the images I want, save, and log out.

When this same issue happened to me, I was logged into the free account th

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Howdy!

I was having this problem too, but may have found a FIX!, though I don't know how or why it works. I change the document colour mode (RGB/CYMK) from whichever I am using then undo (so my file doesnt look whack) then save again and it works. Would love if someone who is having this problem could attempt this and verify.

Best,

e

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Hi @Anshul_Saini and @Monika Gause It was none of the suggestions in this thread! I even completely uninstalled Illustrator and started again, same thing. Further research led me to a random comment on another forum mentioning Controlled Access Folders. I found them here: settings > updates & security > windows security >  virus and threat protection > Ransomware protection > Manage ransomware protection > Controlled Access Folders with a little on/off button! The button was on... switched it of

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Hello - I was having the same issue. Could not save and got the error, "file not found." My fix was that I saved the file as a PDF first. Then saved as an AI file and it did not error. 

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

I turned off the VPN of my pc security software then it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

For me, its because windows controlled folder access blocking the access to required folder path. To cope with it, you need to allow the app access.

Go to windows security > Virus & Threat protection > Ransomware protection > and under controlled folder access, click Allow an app through Controlled folder access

Then add illustrator and adobe services to allowed app list

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

I had the same issue and instead of double clicking the document, I dragged it down to the Illustrator icon in my Dock and it opened up just fine. I hope I don't have that issue again though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 137 Replies 137
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's no harm in logging out and logging back in to see if that works. Another option that has helped is saving the file as a SVG format and then saving it again as AI or PDF. Those seem to be among the most successful solutions to this issue. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do as you ask, but that's like putting scotch tape on an open wound.
Is there not a way to fix the software so the error in question doesn't pop
up at all? That's part of the reason the Support Community is here...to
allow tech support to find the issue and fix it.

*Thank You,*
-Raul Garcia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not tech support. Just volunteering to offer solutions that have worked. I don't receive that error message anymore once I logged out and back in again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies...unfortunately, that doesn't work for me either, but thanks
for the suggestion.

*Thank You,*
-Raul Garcia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing that has worked for me is to create a new document, copy all content from the bad file and paste it to a new file. Then try saving it as anything you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, tried that too. When I first had that problem, it worked. Now it's
not working. It won't save to clipboard when I close Illustrator and
restart so I can restart fresh and simply paste. The issue is sporadic.
The error doesn't always pop up, but 2 times in a weeks time is a little
odd.

*Thank You,*
-Raul Garcia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do as you ask, but that's like putting scotch tape on an open wound.
Is there not a way to fix the software so the error in question doesn't pop
up at all? That's part of the reason the Support Community is here...to
allow tech support to find the issue and fix it.

*Thank You,*
-Raul Garcia

By @g80420514

If you want to reach out to Adobe's tech support: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

They can log into your system and figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @g80420514,

Thanks for sharing the details. I checked you are using a "teams account". I would like to know if you get options while signing in to your account like this or not:

Anshul_Saini_0-1654206233908.png

If you don't, then turn off the automatic profile selection:

• Go to Account and security > Sign-in and security.

• Turn off the Select my profile automatically option.

After turning this setting off, log out from all the CC apps and restart your system, log in using the business profile instead of your personal profile or vice-versa and check if the issue gets resolved or not.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I was having the same issue. Could not save and got the error, "file not found." My fix was that I saved the file as a PDF first. Then saved as an AI file and it did not error. 

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Had the same issue. What worked here:

Save the file as illustrator .eps. Then restart the app, open the .eps file and save it as a .ai file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I'm REALLY late to the party, but I'm getting this issue now in December 2022. Trying to fix it now, but to save my work I just did File > Save a Copy, and it worked! Not sure if it's caused by the same issue, but I hope this gets looked into. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this error as well.

Converting to RGB did not work. Saving as PDF did not work. Saving as SVG worked but destroyed all my artbioards, layers and converted CMYK and spot to rgb (so not a solution). I also checked security settings in macOS to no avail (full disk access, etc).

What finally worked for me, in illustator preferneces, file handling. Turned off Save in background, Export in background, and disabled turn off data recovery for complex documents. Then I set Automatically save recovery data to 30 seconds. Waited a while and then force quit illustrator. When I relaunched Illustrator it recovered my document where I left off and I am now able to save normally.

What an odd bug and so many unrelated "solutions".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What an odd bug and so many unrelated "solutions".

By @Fluk3

Those solutions are not unrelated. But this issue is caused by different things for different people.

Saving as an SVG is a crude hack in any situation and more related to snake oil than to tech support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, Monica, save as SVG was not my "solution". So your "snake oil" insult was completely unnecessary.

My "solution" was to temporarily disable save in background and data recovery options and then relying on data recovery after a force quit, as noted in my second paragraph. I had to do this because none of the other suggestions worked for me.

You say the various suggestions people are listing are not unrelated? Changing color mode, saving as PDF, logging into different adobe id, changing the OS security/ransomeware settings, disabling background save and recovery options, as well as others - how are they related exactly then?

If the issue is caused by different things for different people then wouldn't it make sense that the various solutions are "unrelated"? Different and unrelated are synonymous, no?

And to be fair, in my original post I said my "solution" with scare quotes to indicate I did not consider it a true solution, but it did allow me to workaround my problem and I only shared it for any others that might be able to use it.

But thanks for your ever so "helpful" comments. You may be a Community Expert but I've been using and troubleshooting Adobe products full time since 1993.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, bro,  I don't think she was referrnig to you. She was referring to Adobe's weird bug. JMO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fluk3  schrieb:

I've been using and troubleshooting Adobe products full time since 1993.

So there's one thing we have in common. Only that it's 1990 for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue, and none of the suggestions had worked for me - then I thought to save it first as a cloud file AI as a different name, then save it as a PDF and AI as I needed - this worked (no idea why) but figured I'd have I case it may help others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this problem now. And no-one (definately not Adobe) is offering a good solution. I managed to save the file after first saving it to the cloud. Then after a few tries it finished saving. It appears that this problem gets resolved randomly through some independent process and the users think that whatever they were trying at the moment resolved the issue.

It would be nice if someone at Adobe looked into this and replied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this problem now. And no-one (definately not Adobe) is offering a good solution. I managed to save the file after first saving it to the cloud. Then after a few tries it finished saving. It appears that this problem gets resolved randomly through some independent process and the users think that whatever they were trying at the moment resolved the issue.

It would be nice if someone at Adobe looked into this and replied.

By @Marcin Wik

Please don't post into every available thread. 95% of people here are not staff, we are helping in our spare time. This is your thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/illustrator-wont-save-files-because-they-don-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Marcin Wik,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. I understand your frustration. This issue has been going from several years now. There are different scenarios for almost everyone on this thread. We are unable to identify as people try alternate solutions & fixes shared on this thread to resolve the issue before contacting us. When we try to replicate it on their machine, the issue is no longer reproducible at their end and ours, which makes it challenging to identify the cause and fix it permanently.

If you are able to reproduce the issue at your end, please DM me so we can further investigate the issue.

Thanks,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me:
- Copy the full artboard

- Pasting on XD as a backup

- Restarting AI

- Pasting again on the same place and saving.

The error ocurred after I left Illustrator open for several hours and then came back to it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried,

save as type: SVG(*.SVG), then open it on Illustrator then save as type: Adobe Illustrator (*.AI) 

worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried,

save as type: SVG(*.SVG), then open it on Illustrator then save as type: Adobe Illustrator (*.AI) 

worked for me.

By @shashiwardhan28904376l8bt

This might ruin the editability of your file completely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYmoZw8TgWE

When saving your work files as SVG, it's not uncommon, that things aren't quite as editable when opening the file again. Are there options to deal with that in Illustrator? And what does "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" actually do? Related video: How Illustrator saves files ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned off the VPN of my pc security software then it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is the correct answer, because I generally don't work with VPN on and still had this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines