Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save in Illustrator CS2

Nov 02, 2005 Nov 02, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Group,
I posted on the 25th Oct:-
"Have updated to CS2, everything fine except in Illustrator.

When saving work in the "Save as" or "Save a copy" I get "an unknown error
has occurred"

Even if I open work made prior to the upgrade from CS and then amend it, I
get the same "an unknown error has occurred", when I try to save it

I can save in other formats without problem, but I can't save my work in the
Illustrator format to return to later.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled without success.

Please has anyone else come across this, or can anybody advise a solution to
this problem?

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David "

Since then I have checked the Adobe forum for Illustrator and there appears
to be considerable traffic on this apparent "BUG" in illustrator, it also
seems to be hitting CS as well as CS2.

I find it amazing that Adobe can release software with problems such as
this. How can their credibility withstand issuing software that can't even
save in its own natural format.

It would appear that this bug was evident way back in March, yet here we are
still suffering in November, more that 8 months and still no word from
Adobe.

Any self respecting company would have pulled the offending software from
the shelves until they had a solution, yet Adobe seems not to have even
responded to the problem.

I'm sure there must be thousands of us out here that paid for this defective Adobe software and received a load of junk for their money.

If you feel as strongly as I do about it, how about a mass mailing to the
Adobe forums and let them know how you feel.They might eventually get the
message.

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 206 Replies 206
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2008 Feb 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To recover a window off-screen:

Select File>Open... or some other dialog box that appears off-screen.

Hit the alt key.

Press the enter key.

You should now see a menu with Move as one of the options.

Hit enter again and then move your mouse. The window should now be attached to your mouse and you can move it back on screen.

www.progressiveApps.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 22, 2008 Feb 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FAQ #4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2008 Feb 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues with mac OS Jaguar users.

Reinstalling will not fix the situation.
Repairing from master CD will not fix the situation.

However deleting the preferences does fix the situation (temporarily).

SHAME and PANS to Adobe for not resolving these issues.

I cannot tell you what a nightmare it was to learn that you spent time on a job only to find later that you cannot save, save as, export, etc a job.

Adobe please do not let us down and fix this issue!

PRAISE and PATS to the above users for providing the rest of us with some possible solutions until Adobe fixes this mess! THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2008 Mar 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In relation to Can't Save file in Illustrator CS, I have been experiencing the same problem in CS3 and what I decided to do was delete layers one at a time to see if a layer had become corrupted (had to try something!!) I had a file with 40 layers and got to the 38th layer, deleted it and guess what it Saved ("Saved As"). YEAH!!!!!!
I went back to my original file and had a look at that particular layer and it was empty so I deleted it again and then made a few simple edits and then was able to save it again - my problem is solved. I hope others may find this is a possible cause of files not saving - fingers crossed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2008 Mar 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't intend to upgrade to Illustrator CS3 after reading this thread(the last messages). I have the CS2 version and nonetheless it lets me save the AI files proviso I do not put any text. Of course it is a problem for those who use illustrator for doing some typo. This bug has perhaps extended to the files which have no text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2008 Mar 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've learned from my own experience that uninstalling CS3 and then reinstalling the entire suite fixes the issue. Since my last post in February 2008 I've not had an issue and have worked extensively between AI and PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2008 Apr 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank goodness for forums - I thought all was lost - Installed CS2 with Windows Vista. Couldn't save the files when there was text visible. Found that if you just hide the text and save then the file will save - thank you nph for the phrase - "turn off visibility of the the layers prior to saving" . That was enough for me to try out the "hide" the text before saving route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2008 Apr 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't save with my CS2 even if I hide the text , I must suppress the layer with text if I want to save the file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2008 Apr 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... even with a couple of layers so long as I hide the text I can save, I must not be doing anything too complicated like you are though.
How would I supress a layer? Of course now I can't get the help file to run - sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha I finally understand the way you hide the text : you probably use a mask , that way indeed it is possible to save. ( yesterday I only clicked on the eye near the layer for hiding it...)
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - use "Ctrl 3" after selecting your object to hide it on screen.
However I have found something else out - can save a proper Illustrator CS2 file with text showing if you uncheck the "create PDF compatible file" box when the save options appears.
So some success. I am sad that I cannot save out into a.pdf file though for my students of my website - that grieves me. I have managed to copy and paste into a paint programme to save as a .jpg but I did really want a .pdf... never mind.
Hope this helps a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody reads post #1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just spent a loooong time reading - going to try a few things!!<bg><br />Thanks - fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success - Message #141 - did the trick for me ---sigh - nothing else worked. Wonderful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 09, 2008 Apr 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to us, Gillian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2008 Apr 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx so much Gillian Lamb, i had a similar problem when saving ai file with text displayed , didn't know problem could be solved by hidding this text prior to saving ...
Congratulations to Adobe developpers, did they make tests when developping the software ? do they know that a "undetermined error" can be more more explicit with a simple exception raising ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2008 Apr 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People please keep trying... I have CS3 on Vista. Up until last night I could save ai files. Now I can't and I have tried EVERYTHING everyone has mentioned. The problem started after I tried to place a jpeg.... which failed. And not sure if it is relevant but I often noticed my speakers making a funny noise when illustrator was open. I don't have any zune software.Ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2008 Apr 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attention...

This is the adobe kb for this issue: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403151&sliceId=1

The Zune Team has investigated this issue. The issue is that Zune(2.1 and greater, along with many other applications) send input (via virtual keys) prior to setting foreground window. Zune does this at startup...and when a device is connected. Most apps use a specific virtual key for this, and in this case after the adobe app gets this key it will fail to save.

We have contacted adobe support with this information along with a sample repro to allow them to resolve the issue with input handling.

_Zach Johnson(zjohnson@microsoft.com)
Zune Product Team
This posting is provided as-is with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2008 May 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've been using Illustrator CS3 for several months now, and never had a problem with "Can't save the illustration" until today. When I saw the "font problem" issue pop up in this forum, I realized that a font I had just introduced to this particular file was new, being used for the first time. I reconstructed the new font addition, then CONVERTED IT TO VECTOR OUTLINES. Saved with the "save" command. Problem gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2008 May 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

>Problem gone.

Along with editability, unfortunately, but still better than nothing, literally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2008 May 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eventually called tech support, and it worked. I was using a standard Windows XP and Illustrator CS3.

The key parts of the problem were that when I attempted to save my computer would freeze up and Illustrator would shut down without giving me the second dialog box, saying the cause was an unknown error.

I can tell you what they told me, but do so at your following discretion because I'm not tech support.
1. Open the run function and type out %appdata% including the %'s
2. Go to the Adobe folder
3. Drag the Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings folder onto your desktop

After that the program ran like it was intended. I hope that this will help someone, and that it wouldn't cause any problems for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 15, 2008 May 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just another way of nuking prefs as explained in FAQ #2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2008 May 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am getting the dreaded unknown operation error when saving .ai files on Windows XP media center with illustrator cs3. When I at least try to salvage my work by exporting as .png I get "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [Imer]" Which amuses me, because Imer means something right?

Sometimes I can get my files to save as an .ait, the template file, but if that breaks with "unknown error fatalities" Then EVERY time i close illustrator and reopen file later the artwork MUST be pasted into a new file and saved again as template becaues the file name breaks too.

My files don't have anything but drawn illustrations. If I draw with the wacom pen it will suddenly start doing this. So nothing related to fonts here. I troubleshot the flattener preset file per adobe forum but to no avail.

P.s. I don't have zune.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is for all of you who couldn't get the above to work:

I have Windows XP and CS3 Illustrator.

This same problem happened to me in Photoshop. To fix it, I stopped Version Cue from grabbing the "Save As" window before I could save. Here's how:

In Photoshop:
Edit > Preferences > File Handling...

In the last box, uncheck "Enable Version Cue." Problem solved. (I believe this may be turned on during Adobe update, but I am unsure. What I do know is the problem stems entirely from Version Cue.)

----------

The fix for Illustrator is a bit more complex. The same thing happened to me in Illustrator (and it used to save just fine without any changes on my part) but Version Cue was already unchecked. That is why I wound up on this thread.

1) In Illustrator:
Edit > Preferences > File Handling & Clipboard

2) Uncheck "Enable Version Cue" (if it is already unchecked, this is okay, that is how mine was)

3) Go into Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer)
Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Illustrator CS3 > Support Files > Contents > Windows

4) In this folder is a sub folder called "Version Cue." Rename "Version Cue" to something else like "OLD Version Cue".

5) You can now save files in Illustrator (may require relaunch of Illustrator).

----------

***NOTE***
From one of the above posts I found that to keep from having to kill Illustrator every time it freezes on save (pre-fix) hold down "Alt+F4" to close the invisible "Save as" window that is locking things up.

----------

If the above does not work, try some of the other things I did which I do not believe made a difference, but just in case:

1) Choose a valid, online printer
2) Close other programs
3) Restart your computer
4) Trash the old Illustrator preferences (Documents and Settings > (your login) > Application Data > Adobe > Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings)
5) When Illustrator freezes, hit "alt" then after hit "enter" then select "Move" from the drop down menu at the top left. Drag a whole bunch without lifting the left click button. Restart Illustrator. Repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried so many things like quitting print spooler, killing acrotray.exe process, version cue, preference files, settings, etc. according to the other forums.. But the one about rolling back a version from Windows Media Player 11 worked for me! Then I rebooted and it worked!

It's in this forum:
https://forum.adobe.com/webx/.3bc3dfb9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines