• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can`t save the illustration. You do not have enough access privileges. ID: -5000

Enthusiast ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I`m getting this error when trying to save a template to my local drive (File > save as template...)  Using MacOS sierra 10.12.4

I`m ok with saving out a normal .ai file, but not the template...have restarted illustrator with same issue when trying to save as template.

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 5.01.32 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 4.58.12 pm.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Check your access privileges. Are you an admin?

Can you save the template somewhere else and then move it into that folder? Also: templates can be saved anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

I ran into this problem today (Aug 12, 2020) and my work around:
- Save the template to the desktop

- Open Finder
- Search for & open Templates folder in AI (there are 4 Template folders on my laptop in other apps)
- Drag the template icon into the Finder
- Input my password credentials to allow the move

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Go to template folder. Right-click and choose "get info." At the bottom, click the lock, enter your password, then add "Administrators" along with "read and write" privelages. Done. Will then work to save templates to that folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. This generally happens when you don't have proper read & write permission to export/ save the file. We have created a small YouTube video to address permission issues in Illustrator.

Please perform the steps as showcased in the video on the folder you are trying to save and then give Illustrator "Full Disk Access" from the System Settings.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your access privileges. Are you an admin?

Can you save the template somewhere else and then move it into that folder? Also: templates can be saved anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes under "users and groups" I am the logged in admin (and owner) of the mac.

ok I can save the template to the desktop...I prefer it in its default location though, but thanks Monika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you move it to that location later?

Can you check your access privileges on the computer? There is a check and repair tool in the Mac Utilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep I can move it there afterwards,

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 9.04.53 am.png

here are my mac functions, I dont know where to check access privileges, only see that I am able to login as admin, and when I moved the test template into the folder it asked for admin password which I entered..

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 9.03.56 am.png

here are my admin settings and some of the utilities available.. I went to mac System preferences > users&groups

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 9.01.45 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, the access information seems ok.

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 5.32.15 pm.png

others have had problems with this method though, from user feedback, although thats Osx Lion, long gone.

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 5.28.14 pm.png

I haven`t tried the Terminal approach, but i`ll leave that for now as i`m not familiar with the back end and even though if I follow the instructions, if something goes wrong system wide i`m stuffed, this mac is mission critical for me. The template issue I can work around. Thanks Monika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this problem today (Aug 12, 2020) and my work around:
- Save the template to the desktop

- Open Finder
- Search for & open Templates folder in AI (there are 4 Template folders on my laptop in other apps)
- Drag the template icon into the Finder
- Input my password credentials to allow the move

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly!! Thank you for posting this answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to template folder. Right-click and choose "get info." At the bottom, click the lock, enter your password, then add "Administrators" along with "read and write" privelages. Done. Will then work to save templates to that folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome thanks, I think that solved it for me... although its taking quite some time... is that normal or should i relaunch my finder... 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this information. This helped me greatly too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was easily the best way to figure this problem out. Much appreciated 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. It's crazy this company has been around forever and still they cannot figure out how to make things easy. ... legacy, big data, an old school company cannot shrug off their past stuck in medoicracy 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your operating system wants to protect you from damage. If application software could easily circumvent its protection measures without the OS kicking in, then the OS would be a failure.

So in effect nobody can spare you from learning how to control your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodness, I can't believe this is STILL a glitch a year later in a program that costs almost 300 dollars a year to use. Honestly floored. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you don't tell us exactly where you want to save the file, we won't be able to help you.

Are you sure that you actually have enough access privileges on that Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like the person who posted, I own the mac I have the issue on and am using the administrator account. I had to jump through the same hoops as the user who posted to firure out how to save a template. As someone who is new to this program, the glitches I've been running into that add a hitch to every single tiny thing I try to do are truly infuriating and I find it interesting that for 300 bucks per user per year, things like this aren't fixed and I still have to come to a forum to do figure out what's wrong, adding hours to my project time. 

I just find it interesting that extremely high priced programs these days don't even bother to fix problems people post on these forums if there's an irritating, lenghty, workaround that falls on the user's time.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS is preventing you from doing harm to the system.

You have to give permission to the app to even write to the disk. And no, this is not something the application developer can do for themselves, because that would defeat the purpose of the permission system as a whole.

There are certain locations that no app can write to. It's not possible. So please can you tell us exactly what you want to write to exactly where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this error when trying to save as .ai to my external drive. WTF? Permissions are read/write for all users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to  support.apple.com and "maginfying glass" / searching at top of page / Search for - "Control Access to files and folders on a Mac"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are great! I also found a quick solution for a Mac about error "ID: -5000"  direclty from Apple that worked!

Either go to support.apple.com and "maginfying glass" at top of page / Search for - "Control Access to files and folders on a Mac" or google - "apple support Control Access to files and folders on a Mac"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. This generally happens when you don't have proper read & write permission to export/ save the file. We have created a small YouTube video to address permission issues in Illustrator.

Please perform the steps as showcased in the video on the folder you are trying to save and then give Illustrator "Full Disk Access" from the System Settings.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Annoying much? I want to throw myself off a bridge. 

I tried a bunch of these work arounds and none worked.

Had to copy and paste into a new document and save to ANOTHER computer. 

oy vey.

Screen Shot 2023-06-16 at 2.06.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all of these things, and still I get the error message. Any other tricks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines