• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't scale logo guides in Illustrator CC 2018?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Used to be able to create a logo lockup with grouped guides, as recently as CC 2017. The grouped guides would scale with the logo keep the proper clear space for the logo no matter the size.

In this new version of Illustrator CC, the guide stays to same size as its original size while the logo scales. This used to work whether guides were locked or not as long as it was grouped with the artwork.

Has anyone else experienced this or come up with a workaround/fix?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

I tried that in CC 2017.

Most people consider it even wrong behaviour that unlocked guides get selected when you draw a selection rectangle. I guess that many people consider this behaviour quite welcome.

If you want to make a feature request, please do that in there: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ moved from Creative Suites to Illustrator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have a logo, put some guides to it. Then group everything and then lock guides?

And when you scale stuff, the guides scale as well in CC 2017?

Just tried that. And didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Illustrator CC 2017?

That is my issue now. It doesn't scale in CC 2018.

Yes, in previous Illustrator versions up until CC 2017 the guides would scale with the logo when grouped, even if guides were locked. The last files that we released where it would still work was Illustrator CC 2017. It might have been an earlier version before later updates. It's been part of our logo release process for the last 10-15 years. Built in to all master artwork releases and in our various client guidelines. But now it no longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that in CC 2017.

Most people consider it even wrong behaviour that unlocked guides get selected when you draw a selection rectangle. I guess that many people consider this behaviour quite welcome.

If you want to make a feature request, please do that in there: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree that in general a locked guide should stay locked. But, when grouped to an element it should scale. Even when guides are unlocked and grouped with an element it will not scale unless you use the scale tool. Unfortunately, most users will want to grab a logo and scale it using the selection tool. Some might think this behavior a glitch, but I would like this feature to be brought back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us a screen shot of a part of your artwork?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure!:

Logo with grouped guides:

logo_grouped_guides_orig.png

Scaling logo with grouped guides using selection tool (guides unlocked):

scaling_grouped_guides_using_selection_tool.png

Scaling logo with grouped guides using scale tool (guides unlocked):

scaling_grouped_guides_using_scale_tool.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to View> Guides > Unlock Guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work with selection tool. Used to work with selection tool even when guides were locked. Illustrator changed how "Make Guides" works and scaling "Made" guides. Like I said before, this used to work in previous versions of Illustrator. Illustrator programming changes so that now it does not work.

Unlocking guides and using scale tool is not a solution because that is not how designers or production artists work. Adobe, bring back scaling of grouped guides please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wallywolk  schrieb

Unlocking guides and using scale tool is not a solution because that is not how designers or production artists work. Adobe, bring back scaling of grouped guides please.

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I already submitted this to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wallywolk
I have 2018 Version and everything is OK and it is working even it is grouped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Illustrator CC 2018?

I am using Illustrator CC 2018 (v22.0.1)

Mac OS Sierra Version 10.12.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also using it in Mac OS Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 3.24.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-11 at 3.24.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you tried to reset you application ?!

By Clicking Ctrl+Alt+shift in Windows or Cmd+Option+Shift in Mac OS

In Windows: close your software and open it again but when you press to open it you should immediately press Ctrl+Alt+shift sor seconds.

In Mac OS: Close your app & open it again and before that hold pressing on Cmd+Shift+Alt and keep pressing even you pressed on the app to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow 2021 and still this issue is happening. This is quite destructive for easy workflow. Lots of times you want to scale by feeling and look. 

Only solution i know is return the guides to editable shape, ctrl+alt+5 then do scaling then revert bake to guides, but that is hideous!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines