• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't select items behind a locked item

New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not used Illustrator on a regular basis for a couple of years, but now I'm working in Illustrator Legacy version. I have noticed that when I lock an image or text box, and try to click on a image/box behind the locked item, I am unable to. When I click the area, the locked item becomes "active", there's a lock on it, and I can't click anything below that box. These items are all on the same layer, and need to be. It used to be that when you locked an item, you couldn't click on it. This is frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this and know how to get around it?

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

tromboniator_0-1621373233749.png

I think this is what Kurt is referring to. I haven't decided yet if it's a good thing or not. In any case, if this is active you can select an object below (behind) a locked one by cmd/ctrl-clicking twice (not as quickly as a double-click) on the locked object directly above the object you wish to select.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is somehow a shortcoming of new ways to handle locked objects.

You can disable that behaviour in the Illustrator preferences. I think the option is called "Prevent Selection of Locked Objects".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that worked. I didn't even notice that when I was setting up Illustrator. Why is that even a thing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tromboniator_0-1621373233749.png

I think this is what Kurt is referring to. I haven't decided yet if it's a good thing or not. In any case, if this is active you can select an object below (behind) a locked one by cmd/ctrl-clicking twice (not as quickly as a double-click) on the locked object directly above the object you wish to select.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter for letting us know about the cmd/ctrl-clicking twice move!  I have been a little fustrated by the "can't click an object behind a locked object" scenerio since the unlock on canvas option was introduced.  I will now leave that feature on as I like unlocking invidual items on canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. I seem to remember it from an explanatory video Adobe put out when they introduced the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter, for pointing out the right option.

I was probably thinking about the InDesign option and that was a bit wrong in this case ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Kurt. Sometimes a bit wrong is a bit right enough to send us in a useful direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> "Thank you that worked. I didn't even notice that when I was setting up Illustrator. Why is that even a thing? "

Well, I cannot tell you why currently it is as it is. I did not develop this concept.

I'm afraid it is just a half-baked approach that may hopefully be improved in future Illustrator versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for letting us know how to fix this. I noticed this feature when I updated Illustrator. It's frustrating when they change features in software programs we have been using for years! Really messes up my workstream. But thanks to this forum, problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines