• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you change DPI using Adobe Illustrator on iPad?

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe illustrator on my Mac laptop and on my iPad. On my Mac when creating a custom  template I can see where to change DPI settings but on my iPad I don't have that option. Is it not possible for iPad?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

A vector image doesn't have a resolution.

What you set up on the desktop is the resolution for raster effects.

Illustrator on the iPad doesn't even have raster effects. So why do you want to set a resolution for that?

All you need are sufficient pixel dimensions for the document. Then when exporting to a raster file, your file is large enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Hi there,

In case you are looking for these options in Export settings, I am afraid it's not available right now. Export to rasters (image) formats work with fixed resolution at this time and the team is trying to bring in more controls in upcoming releases. In the meanwhile, the document from iPad syncs automatically to the desktop, so you can use the desktop Ai to manage your export settings. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

You can create a template on the computer with 300 dpi first, then you save it at the cloud so you can edit it on the Ipad, and it will stay with 300 dpi. That is what I do 😉 

By @Golimac

An Illustrator file doesn't have a resolution.

The value you are referring to is the raster effects resolution. This only affects the resolution at which raster based effects are rendered. There are no raster based effects in Illustrator on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A vector image doesn't have a resolution.

What you set up on the desktop is the resolution for raster effects.

Illustrator on the iPad doesn't even have raster effects. So why do you want to set a resolution for that?

All you need are sufficient pixel dimensions for the document. Then when exporting to a raster file, your file is large enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

In case you are looking for these options in Export settings, I am afraid it's not available right now. Export to rasters (image) formats work with fixed resolution at this time and the team is trying to bring in more controls in upcoming releases. In the meanwhile, the document from iPad syncs automatically to the desktop, so you can use the desktop Ai to manage your export settings. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I want to print for canvas.  I was told it must be at least 300 dpI in order for it to look professional.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a desktop btw, so I have nowhere to change the resolution after done with an art project for print out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

300dpi is actually the standard for the files on iPad Illustrator so you should be okay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, its 72, and I have the exact same problem 😔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a template on the computer with 300 dpi first, then you save it at the cloud so you can edit it on the Ipad, and it will stay with 300 dpi. That is what I do 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Golimac

An Illustrator file doesn't have a resolution.

The value you are referring to is the raster effects resolution. This only affects the resolution at which raster based effects are rendered. There are no raster based effects in Illustrator on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In that video you are showing the document raster effects resolution. That is not the resolution of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines