• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you program "New Artboard" to actions?

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm trying to set up an action set to copy and paste something to a new artboard, but it seems as if artboard creation, selection, and deletion are all exempt from actions?

Does anyone know if it's supposed to be this way?

If it is: is there a workaround?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-K

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Here you can download a sample action that shows one way to create a new artboard with an action:

Sample Action: New Artboard

To test:

- Open a blank document that contains one artboard (any size).

- Load the .aia file.

- Make sure that Align to Artboard is turned on in the Align palette (otherwise the action won't work).

- Play the action.

The other things you mentioned may also be automated with a modified action, but to check that I would have to take a look at one of your sample .ai files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are or may be workarounds, depending on the specific steps you are going to do.

For example: Does your documents (initially) contain just one artboard or multiple artboards? Should the new artboard have the same dimensions (width/height) as the "previous" artboard? Etc.

Provide as much details as possible in order to get possible approaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Document is initially one artboard.

I'm trying to develop shortcuts for screen print preparation.

Ideally the action would be as follows:

Select all
Expand Appearance
Unite
Make Compound Path
Copy
New Artboard (selected)
Paste In Place
Color

I'd like to be able to do this ten times on ten separate layers with one keystroke, locking and unlocking layers in the command line as well, but it would appear layer modifications don't record in actions either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you can download a sample action that shows one way to create a new artboard with an action:

Sample Action: New Artboard

To test:

- Open a blank document that contains one artboard (any size).

- Load the .aia file.

- Make sure that Align to Artboard is turned on in the Align palette (otherwise the action won't work).

- Play the action.

The other things you mentioned may also be automated with a modified action, but to check that I would have to take a look at one of your sample .ai files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked perfectly, Thank you.

Unfortuantely it looks like the set of actions I want to create won't be possible until Adobe makes it so layer and artboard selection/visibility can be recorded into actions.

Thank you again for that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already mentioned, there may be a way to make an action that does what you describe in post #2 (including layer selection), but I would have to check a sample .ai file from you in order to see what steps may be possible. You may keep in mind: Any Illustrator action that includes more than 10 steps is always a bumpy ride, always. But it may work ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this action made by you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you !!! i was looking for new artbord macro / action / shortcut for years ! litterally 
passing by "convert to arboards" an object was a clever workaround 😄 

-
www.instagram.com/mugen_labz/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever Workaround is Kurt's middle name(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it possible to edit this action to set artboad to art + like 6"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming I understand what you are going to do, that may be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish the action were in english so I could understand what its doing. I need an action that will create a new artboard based on a "Select All" command, and make the artboard an inch larger on all four sides from the selection boundaries. -Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That would be possible with an action, but you may also take a look at this script, provided by Alexander Ladygin. It has to be modified a bit.

https://github.com/alexander-ladygin/illustrator-scripts#createartboardsfromtheselection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems there is no scripting way for the "New Artboard" from artboard panel, which is automaticaly placed, so as 2023 neither actions, neither scripting may allow it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish the action were in english so I could understand what its doing. I need an action that will create a new artborad based on a "Select All" command, and make the artboard an inch all the way around from the selection boundaries

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines