Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Export To PNG or JPG With Illustrator 2020 on macOS Catalina

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I have recently updated to Creative Cloud 2020 for Illustrator and I keep having the same issue. 

I can not export any of my ai files to a png or jpg. This is becoming an annoying issue and I regret doing the update.

Has anyone has this issue and found a resolution?

Thank you, 

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I can not export any of my ai files to a png or jpg."

What happens when you try? It would help if you post again with more details as to exactly what you're doing; system information, which export routine you're invoking, the nature of the content, where you're exporting to, and how the result differs from what's expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the quick one that I just tired was taking a simple shape to export as a png, the error code I recived was "The operation cannot complete beause of an unknown error. [!now]"

System information:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor: 

2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

System Software: macOS Catalina

The export routine: 

File>Export>Export As...>Format: PNG

I have tired selecting the Use Artboards box and also by not selecting it.

Before I updated to CC 2020, I was using CC 2019 and used this method flawlessly multiple times a day.

I received the same results with CC 2020 when I try with simple content and complex content. 

The process has also slowed down significantly from CC 2019 to CC 2020. With CC 2019 the process was quick and effecient. I can accept some slowing down due to the age of my computer but not this drastic with one upgrade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. None of the fixes are working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this. Could you please share a few more details like:

• What happens when you export them from Export > Export for Screen?
  • Does it work when you export the same files to some other format other than JPEG/ PNG?
  • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? You can upload it to the creative cloud and share the download link. 
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)? 
  • Does it work if you export a new file to Desktop?

You can also try resetting preferences for Illustrator and let us know if that helps:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to   Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings. 

We're here to help, just need more information.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Same issue. 

The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error.  [now!]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large is the file?

Which resolution?

Did you try a different, smaller file?

Different setting?

Different resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also havingthis problem since updating to 2020. I get the message "The file could not be written due to an error" if I try to export anything at a resolution greater than 150ppi. I need to be able to export at 300ppi - which worked fine in the previous Illustrator version. Please fix this ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that if I copy the item that I am unable to export from the original file and paste just that one item into a new file and then export it from the new file it seems to Export fine. Bit of a pain to have to do this but at least I can keep working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Will/ Judy,

We're so sorry that you are having trouble with Illustrator. Would you mind sharing a few more details like:

• OS and exact version of Illustrator
  • Where the files are being exported (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)? 
  • Is this happening with multiple files?
  • Could you please share some sample files with us?

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is happening with multiple files. Am using IBM Windows 10 and Illustrator 2020. The Export function at 300dpi worked fine in Illustrator 2019 but not in 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I am just trying to export them from the Illustrator program to my hard drive so that I can send them out to clients for review. Please fix this issue ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the information, Judy. I would request if you can share a sample file with us. You can upload it to the Creative Cloud and share the download link. 

If you need help with sharing documents via Creative Cloud, you may take a look at this help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I too am having the same issue. it was working fine then just decided to stop working. I get the same annoying error message. "The operation cannot complete beause of an unknown error. [!now]"

After I updated from 2019 version to 2020 version.

I tried rebooting but I will try to create an entirely new document. I was working on a school project so this is very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this issue ever resolved? I am having the same problem. I am working with a print quality file and can only send to the printer as .png. I need it to retain the 300dpi resolution and not be screen resolution with is why I'm trying to Export. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, it hasn't been resolved. I just did a computer update to Mac OS 11.0.1. It seems to be working better as I'm getting the error messages less often. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have set up the file in the pixel dimensions the printer is asking for?

Then just export at 72 ppi.

Resolution doesn't matter. Pixel dimensions matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out what is causing this issue?

I am not allowed to export my files to any external hard drive in "png" formats. I am only allowed to export the "png" formatted files to my desktop which is incredibly inconvenient. This has never happened before until recently (this month). Why on Earth would we all of a sudden have issues exporting files from Adobe Illustrator???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know. I'm having similiar issues.  I have upgraded to Ill 2020 on  Windows 10 OS.

It has been intermittent. Some files seem to export, some will only export at 150 or lower dpi. Sometimes, I just get an error, and others, I can use the export for screen function, and the png will export, where it didn't the other way.  

Can I revert to AI 2019?

I'm really, really frustrated, its cramping my workflow big time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem. My Illustrator does not export PNG nor JPEG archives. When it exports to the folder it was meant to save the files into all of the files are in the TMP extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Sorry about this trouble. Where you are saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)? 

Also, please confirm if the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I'm trying to export a big document to PNG and JPG, which has been impossible. Do you already found the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello All!

I have the same problem. I'm trying to export a big document to PNG and JPG, which has been impossible. Do you already found the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines