• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import EPS file to PS

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  I have a problem with importing EPS file with transparent background to Photoshop. In this way I am following these steps: 1. Opening an EPS file in AI 2. Choosing Layers, then Release to layers (sequence) 3. Clicking File and export as .PSD 4. Opening PS 5. Opening a file I exported  Here I cannot see a whole file with layers that have seen in AI but there is just one layer without transparency. How to sort this out? As an example I would be very glad for your support. Regards

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try after release to layers to drag the sub layers above the top layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want single layers in Photoshop, then you can either export the file as PSD from Illustrator.

Or in the latest versions of both applications copy from Illustrator into Photoshop.

What will not work, is EPS, because it doesn't support transparency. And also it will always be imported as a whole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ton mentioned, you may have missed that one step.

If you DID do that........ not to question the obvious.....you checked "Write Layers" when you exported as PSD, correct?

(Even if you forgot to drag your sublayers out, the exported file should STILL open in PS (albeit on one layer) with no background, so there may be something else at play here).

Are you using the latest versions? and if not, which?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, still cannot export EPS with layers to PS 😞
I have AI 2021 and Yes, I checked "write layers". Any other ideas?

Just wondering, when trying to download a file with transparent effect from Shutterstock it downloads automatically in vector with EPS extension. Doesn't EPS flatten the form right away automatically as you mentioned? How to get to transparency with such operation then? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no transparency in EPS. There is the concept that any part not marked by a vector is the "background colour". So an EPS will often open with transparency. Bear in mind some EPS files get a white background graphic that cannot be turned off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, still cannot export EPS with layers to PS KHRYSTYNA5D3E_0-1636310346055.png

I have AI 2021 and Yes, I checked "write layers". Any other ideas?

Just wondering, when trying to download a file with transparent effect from Shutterstock it downloads automatically in vector with EPS extension. Doesn't EPS flatten the form right away automatically as you mentioned? How to get to transparency with such operation then? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot.

Is this perhaps a file with all these glowing objects and light effects?

In this case you will be outof luck, because it contains so much transparency it will get flattened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Re: shutterstock EPS. They are saved as EPS, yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are unusable. If it is a file created by Illustrator and it is reopened in Illustrator, all the effects are still there, and you can go on and play with them as you so desire. What you cannot do is simply place these EPS files since, at that point, the program you're placing it in (say InDesign) is using only the Postscript portion of the EPS (which IS the whole point of EPS historically anyway), and that will result in a flattened graphic, and depending on the how the graphic is built, may flatten your background to white even though there's technically nothing there. However, if you simply resave these Stock EPS's as .AI files then the effects will work as expected when placed.

Per my example, I just created a simple star glow graphic typical of what you would find on Shutterstock where RGB Black (long story) is used in the "glow" gradients. These are usualy saved a v10 Illustsrator EPS (shutterstock's outdated specs). I've placed this on the left. and you can see how it is flattened on a color background, with a white background rendered. The same exact file saved as .AI is placed at right, and the effects work as expected.

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 3.56.04 PM.png

 

This doesn't solve why you are not getting it Exported to PSD the way you want to because my sample file (two layers) exports as expected with two layers in the PSD file (as below): 

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 4.04.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines