• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open a certain .aic file in Illustrator

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had recently worked on (4 days ago) a specific file on Illustrator but have not touched since. It was before the new update and now when I go to open the file, either from the creative cloud or Illustrator itself, It doesn't respond. When it doesn't respond, the program doesn't freeze up, and I don't get a pop up message. The other thing is a project I had worked on about a month ago I can open, so it is only a problem with one specific file. I've looked through the fourm and seen similar porblems, but nothing exactly like mine. I should mention I am on Windows 10. If I can get any help on how I can open this file it would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

This issue is fixed in AI 25.1 update available in Creative Cloud Desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Rama_ai's answer doesn't work, there's still a bug. 

1. Quick export the file as AI from the iPad
  2. Share via Airdrop or other means to get it to your Mac
  3. Open and save it from the Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

For me, it worked to close Illustrator and open the file via the Creative Cloud app.
It will automatically open the file in Illustrator then.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the .aic just a spelling mistake in your title or is the file actually an .aic file? Illustrator files should be .ai

Here are some ways to troubleshoot problematic Illustrator files:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. a .aic is the file that is created when it's saved to the cloud. Adobe Illustrator Cloud 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that's good to know. I have not worked with cloud documents yet, so I have not seen that new file extension. Thanks.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same thing: some of my cloud files are marked .aic and will not open.

I did not name the file, it was added by the program.

How do I correct this issue? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. I would request you to share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator installed on your devices?
  • Are you using VPN, proxy, or local servers?
  • Do the files open up in Illustrator after downloading them from the CC Cloud document website https://assets.adobe.com/cloud-documents?
  • Is this happening with a specific file? If yes, could you please share the download link of the document with us?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Please check and confirm if Illustrator is not operating offline by going to its Home screen > Cloud Documents. Check if the offline banner or cloud icon with "x" is displayed.
  • Does sign out and sign in from Illustrator > help menu help resolve the issue?

Also, you may try the steps suggested in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-network-issues.html#Howtofixconnection...) and let us know how it goes.

I'll be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That file has been saved to your Creative Cloud account?

Have you tried logging out and then logging in again?

Do you see the file in your Creative Cloud account on the web?

Can you make a copy and go back a few versions of the file and then try if that opens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you click on the timeline icon on the CC assets website and select a previous version of your cloud document?

AIC timeline.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to view the file on the website and look through the timeline, and was able to revert to an older version, but after a while, it did the same thing and I had to revert to an older version once again. I was saving files to the cloud so I could work on them at school and home, but now that I'm all online there is no reason to save the files to the cloud. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloudfiles are a recent addition and a new file format.

Saving your Illustrator files in the CC files folder on your harddisk just saves normal Illustrator files locally, but they get synched to the cloud.

You can access them from other computers when logged in and they also save versions.

Looks like a safer option at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are AIC files from mobile and we can't open them on the desktop in Illustrator, HOW the heck do you want us to save them in "Normal Illustrator".... We literally are here because they WILL NOT OPEN in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator on the desktop do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

25.4.1 I keep it up to date always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What's in the file?

2. Does the file still open on the iPad?

3. Exactly what is happening? You click the file and then? Any error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The AIC file has two text fields

2. It opens on the iPad

3. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. No errors. Nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already try:

1. Log out and then in to your Creative Cloud account

2. Synchronize the files

3. Save the file with a new name, duplicate it or the like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you manage to fix this? I'm having the same problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having the same problem were one particular file will not open and it is .aic file saved to the cloud. i have tried reverting to old version doesnt fix it, i have tried making a copy and it does not fix it, is there any way to fix this problem please can't access my work that i had been working on for weeks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here. Can't open an Illustrator window with the .aic file, and if I try to open it within an Illustrator window, it gives me the message: Error opening""

- Reverted it from version 25 to version 25.0.1

Made a coy of the file on the cloud.

Getting an error trying to download the file from the Cloud as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is fixed in AI 25.1 update available in Creative Cloud Desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem still exists with my IPad! Will this Issue be fixed in a upcoming update? It's very annoying, I absolutely can't go on working like this with Illustrator on my IPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue still exists on OS 11.5.2 and current version of iPad with Ai 25.4.1. Any ideas for a workaround? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it doesn't work. It's 9 months later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

*Two years later!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines