Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Save Any File in Illustrator 2022

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community!

I know that this issue seems to have been posted a number of times, but I'm wondering if I am somehow doing something different. 

I am running Adobe Illustrator on Monterey 12.2. It has been working fine until a couple of days ago when I was getting a message box saying that it cannot save my .ai files. I am occassionally able to save it as a PDF, but if I try to then save that as an AI I get the same error message. 

For a bit I was able to workaround this by not saving my files to a specific folder I created (for instance if that file originated in the download folder, I would save an edited version in the same download folder and that would work?) However, now it's not letting me save at all. It's not a matter of saving copies because I can't even save a file that was fine, say, a week ago.

I've tried a couple of the work arounds here, but no dice. I really need this program to work as I have clients who are on super tight deadlines and in diffefent time zones. A day trying to fix this issue can lead to weeks in delay. 

Any help would be appreciated!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Did you try to turn OFF Preferences > File Handling > Save in Background?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

I had the same problem and tried everything but in the end I had to move the sve box to my other screen and it worked. Not sure how to fix it but at least i can work for now!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try making a new profile on your Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to turn OFF Preferences > File Handling > Save in Background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried that, and it seems like it works. Does this setting reset every time I relaunch the program? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should stick. Good to hear that worked. Adobe engineering is aware of the problem and working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds great. Thank you for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will call Adobe tomorrow. I have unistalled and reinstalled, changed the preferences, restartred. Nothing is working. I get no error messages. If I hit SAVE or SAVE AS the only option is to change file types. Very frustrating as this just suddenly stoped working a few days ago. Was working fine. It keeps asking do I want to save to the cloud even though I click the box to not show again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which system are you on?

Moving the save window (the answer marked correct) does not help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running 12.3 Monterey - tried the suggestion above - still not working. M1 laptop. From the threads it looks like this has been happening since late last year - Adobe what's going on? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update your system to 12.3.1 and Illustrator to 26.2.1 and it should be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving the save window doesn't fix it. 

I'm on Monterey 12.3 - Illustrator 27.8.1 and 26.2.1 both fail identically. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Illustrator have full disk access?

What's in the file?

Does it work with a simple newly created file?

What file format?

Is "Save in background" turned off in the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plenty of disc space. Illustrator works fine it just isn't allowing me to save any of the work. I've tried existing files that were fine a few days ago and brand new files with one box and no text. I've attached the SAVE window. Everything in RED appears to be available but there is no response when I click on it. It appears to be forcing me to use the Cloud, even though I specified save to My Computer. The items in green work, and changing the Format works, but the Save remains gray. Since Cancel doesn't work I am forced to Force Quit. There are no error messages. I will call Adobe later today. Photoshop and InDesign are Saving fine. 

Screen Shot 2023-08-30 at 10.24.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like Illustrator does not have sufficient privileges on your computer.

If you cannot sort it out on your own, please contact Customer Care. They can login to your computer: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate doing upgrades. But I needed Illustrator. I upgraded to 13.5.1and it resolved the issue. However I'm NOW getting messages from Apple constantly that I need to agree to the iCloud EULA. I don't use iCloud. I don't agree with the terms. I just got off the phone with Apple and they said the messages will NEVER go away until I agree. What has happened to the Apple I use to love so much? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Daniel13  schrieb:

What has happened to the Apple I use to love so much? 

Yeah, exactly. I feel you, but I haven't found that answer myself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and tried everything but in the end I had to move the sve box to my other screen and it worked. Not sure how to fix it but at least i can work for now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines