change a shape within a flat (non-layered) logo to a gradient color range

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to change the top half of the wave graphic (see arrow) to the rainbow gradient used for the BF icon.  

The lasso tool doesn't work for me--it won't select. And using the pen selector tools doesn't work because as I'm plotting around the outside edge, AI fills the selection as I go, so half way through, I can't see the last part to select because it's covered by the fill.  

Previously someone suggested creating a mask but that was for the whole object, not selecting a small shape within a photo.

Thank you for your help.   

2.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , How to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be a compound path. Can you check that out in the Layers panel?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's flat, no layers yet. I just opened this file in AI as is (minus the arrow). Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee,

"Previously someone suggested creating a mask but that was for the whole object, not selecting a small shape within a photo."

Are you saying that the wave graphic, or the whole artwork, is raster and not vector?

If that is the case, other solutions are needed.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jacob Bugge  I wish I could answer that question for you but I am unfamiliar with those terms, (even after I looked them up). ☺️  It's a previously made logo png file, no selectable objects. Like a photo. I've watched videos on how to punch out a shape from a photo or artwork but for some reason, the selection tools are not working for me on this, as described in the tutorials.  I thought I could use the lasso to select the wave shape, delete that shape, making that space transparent, so I could apply the gradient colors on another layer (I have a png file for that) behind it to match the BF icon.  Seems like it ought to be simple. I haven't been able to figure it out.  Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee,

I believe the tutorials are for Photoshop, and that it is better to ask in the related forum,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/ct-p/ct-photoshop?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filt...

Maybe a moderator can move this thread over there.

Anyone?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried using the pen tool on a new layer above the PNG and turning the layer to outline using the eyeball in the layer panel? That way you can draw the outline without the fill obscuring the shape you are outlining. When done, turn the visibility on for the layer and fill as required.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines