Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change underscore to dash when exporting artboards

Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to change which character is being appended when exporting artboards? I can't seem to find anything in the preferences to do this. Currently, AI is automatically adding an underscore + the artboard name. But rather than an underscore I would like to use a dash.

As an example, say I have a file named: icons.ai

There are a variety of artboards in this file. And currently, when exporting them, they use an underscore: icons_artboard01.png

However, I would like them to use a dash instead: icons-artboard01.png

Does anyone know how do do this? Currently I'm having to change them after the fact by hand, which becomes extremely tedious when you are dealing with a large number of icons.

Additional info: Adobe Illustrator CS6, Mac.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

I would be happy with it not putting any additional characters in the output. =^ )

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to change the behavior. You can put in a request here, Feature Request/Bug Report Form , but until that time you can use the program Bulk Rename Utility to make this type of change, Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility I use it for all kinds of stuff when needing to mass-replace characters in file names and cleaning up file names as well. It's very powerful but completely free.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be happy with it not putting any additional characters in the output. =^ )

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to change the behavior. You can put in a request here, Feature Request/Bug Report Form , but until that time you can use the program Bulk Rename Utility to make this type of change, Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility I use it for all kinds of stuff when needing to mass-replace characters in file names and cleaning up file names as well. It's very powerful but completely free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response and the extra info as well. I'll definitely be looking into the Bulk Rename Utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We really need this changed bad. It's nearly 2022 (the 2022 Illustrator is out) and we still don't have this feature. It's not asking that much. It's adding an "Export Naming" or "File Naming" feature in Preferences and allowing the user to use the default or change to another character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines