Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing colours on Trajan Color Font to Black and White

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, 

As the title suggests, I am currently trying to change the colour on the Trajan Color font. I am doing this, as I see it as a shortcut to create the depth to the text. 

I have been watching a guide on youtube, which shows how to add colour to SVG text, which has worked up to the stage where I am trying to create a white and black balance on the colour balance window.

What combination on the red, green, and blue mixer should I use to get me what I want? 

Nathan29772043348p_0-1683493507267.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

NB

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer - even if it is unsatisfactory:
The Trajan colour font was not designed with the possibility of colour matching.

Sorry about that.

The only thing you can do is to use a blend mode to achieve a grey tone, or a combination of a new fill colour in the Appearance panel and a blend mode. But even with this you cannot achieve the desired result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would you then suggest? Maybe using a different font and using the gradient tool to create what I want? I also have Photoshop not sure if thats any better at creating text intended for logos? 

What I ideally want is just create an NB text logo for a company

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to make a logo, it is probably useful to create outlines from the font. After that you can use Edit Colors to convert to greyscale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case of Trajan Color, I would really try to use one of the 20 stock color styles in the typeface. The gradient fills in the prismatic letters are actually pretty complicated. When the letters are converted to outlines and then ungrouped one can see each letter has around one or two dozen different objects, each with its own gradient fill. It could be a real time vampire manually changing gradient fill values on all that stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bobby Henderson  schrieb:

It could be a real time vampire manually changing gradient fill values on all that stuff.

I would try Recolor artwork on such a thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a good idea. I like that a LOT more than manually changing the colors on a bunch of gradients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Trajan Color SVG Concept typeface has 20 pre-defined color styles built-in. Usually I open the Glyphs palette, scoll to Trajan Color and then select the color style I want. I'll type a dummy character with that style out on the artboard and then use the eyedropper tool to copy that style onto other text objects. Or I just start typing out a new point text object based on that selected style. I haven't found a more simple way to do that in the Character palette or the font menu. All I see is "concept" from the drop down menus. The Glyphs palette shows all the style sets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is that the standed Trajan Color on Illustrator? or is this a seperate one I need to download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Trajan Color typeface included in Illustrator has all the features I described. You have to open the Glyphs palette in order to access the 20 different color styles. Trajan Color is also available to sync via the Adobe Fonts service; that can make the typeface available to other non-Adobe applications that support SVG Color Fonts.
https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/trajan-color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a tutorial thats on youtube or something that I could watch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't, but the process is pretty much as I described. It would be nice if the color styles in the Trajan Color typeface (and other similar SVG fonts) could be accessed in the fonts menu the same way one might choose different bold or light styles of a type family. It is possible to highlight individual characters in a text string and then see a drop down menu showing different color options for that letter. But if I want to change an entire string of text, or multiple text objects, from the standard Gold color to something like Steel Blue I have to copy that style from another text object. Usually that's a throw-away "dummy" letter I typed that has the desired color style applied to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines