• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Character styles removal

Engaged ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such a simple query but I can't find an answer online. I create a character style, I select some text, I click on the style name and the style is applied. Now I change my mind and I want to remove the style (not delete the character style, just remove it from the selected text). I would have guessed that to reclick on the style name would toggle it off but that doesn't work. So, short of Ctrl-Z, how do I un-apply the style? It's driving me nuts!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Only include the parameters you want to change in the character style. If size is left blank, the character style will have no effect on the underlying paragraph style size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text that doesn't have a user-defined style applied uses 'Normal Character Style'. So select that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah but the text does have formatting. In my case I just want to use the character style to italicise a word on top of the formatting already there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the formatting a paragraph style? 'Normal Character Style' will override local formatting, but not a paragraph style. Setting it will revert to the para style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the formatting is not using a paragraph style because I'm fiddling about with the font, font-size, leading and tracking to get it to look right in the space I have. I just wanted a quick way of italicising text and then removing it if I decide to and thought that a character style might be ideal. At the moment I change the font manually to italics which is slow if you are on off on off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a paragraph style and still fiddle. Fiddling is easier with a paragraph style, even. I'm not sure if you can achieve what you're asking without using one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice Doug. As so often with complex apps, the problem is that I'm doing it wrong. I will use a paragraph style and use it to fiddle!! However, having done that, if the para style is set to say 10pt text, and I create a character style that italicises selected text, it also includes the text size. If I then change the para style to 11pt text, will my character style not italicise a selected word but reset the text to 10pt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only include the parameters you want to change in the character style. If size is left blank, the character style will have no effect on the underlying paragraph style size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such difficulties. I have a para style using the Georgia font and I have created a character style called Italic. I 'reset' the character style panel and just set the font style to Italic. I saved it, reopened it and the font had set itself to the first font in the list beginning with A. I tried this a lot of times with the same result. Also, using the character style on a selected word is still unremovable by clicking the para style again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh hang on - if I click the normal character style it goes back to the style set in the para style - rather than the original default. Not intuitive but it works - phew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh hang on - if I click the normal character style it goes back to the style set in the para style - rather than the original default. Not intuitive but it works - phew!

By @m5heath

Yes, that's the idea - the 'normal' style contains no parameters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Doug - you helped a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines