• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping Mask Glitch/Lag? (Illustrator 2023)

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to Creative Cloud 2023 for Illustrator and ever since I updated I have been having glitch/lag issues with my clipping masks. I work with some pretty complex vector patterns at times but this never used to happen on 2021. Anyone experienced similar issues? It is making it nearly impossible to do my work as pieces of the pattern that are supposed to be hidden by the mask keeping popping up on the artboard inside and outside of my projects. It's happening not only on my complicated designs but also with basic stripes/lines/colors.

Any help is appreciated!

-Ethan

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 2.21.45 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-25 at 10.56.17 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-25 at 10.55.58 AM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

The GPU is fast, but inprecise. So you actually want to work with GPU turned on. But if you need to check something, use the CPU if the GPU view looks wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another example (giant versions of the numbers on the jersey, in all white just appearing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it worked in the previous version?

Please tell us about your hardware. And your system.

Does it get better when you go to View > Preview on CPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mokina,

It does seem to go away and when I switch to view Preview on CPU instead of GPU. If I am being honest, I'm not entirely sure what that means, but it seems to do the trick. 

Any additional advice, is GPU important?

-Ethan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU is fast, but inprecise. So you actually want to work with GPU turned on. But if you need to check something, use the CPU if the GPU view looks wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Ethan28280563tuij,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/optimize-illustrator-performance.html) and checking if it helps?

If not, kindly share some more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, system config (CPU/GPU/Memory), a sample file (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/share-your-files-in-6-simple-steps/td-p/12967...), and a screen recording of the problem (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/screen-record-an-issue-on-windows-amp-macos-f...), as suggested by Monika so that we can investigate this further.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what's happening with Illustrator right now. It's shockingly laggy and masking is all over the place. I wireframed in Figma and putting UI together in AI. I think I'll migrate to Figma for UI based on this performance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default7mpttjt3bvq2  schrieb:

I'm not sure what's happening with Illustrator right now. It's shockingly laggy and masking is all over the place. I wireframed in Figma and putting UI together in AI. I think I'll migrate to Figma for UI based on this performance...

Please create a new thread on the forum and describe your exact steps so someone can try and even guess what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using masks recently? The problem will soon become apparent if you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@default7mpttjt3bvq2  schrieb:

Have you tried using masks recently? The problem will soon become apparent if you have.

Oh, does it?

I have used masks and my students have as well. I haven't seen anything extraordinary. So can you please describe what you are doing? And please create a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines