• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CMYK or Gray Gamma 2.2 for gray scale images in a document with CMYK color images

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to combine color photos (CMYK) and gray scale photos in the same document using Illustrator and afterwards export to pdf, but I don't know what profile I should use for the gray scale images (CMYK or Gray Gamma 2.2). The images need to be printed for a book.

My workflow is:

1) Acquire photos with Capture One 20

2) Export from Capture One to tif (Adobe RGB 1998)

3) Adjust images with Photoshop, including conversion to CMYK profile

4) Adjust separate (gray scale) images with Photoshop, conversion to either Gray Gamma 2.2 or CMYK (here is my question)

5) Import color and gray scale images to Illustrator

6) Export to pdf

When I convert gray scale images in Photoshop to Gray Gamma 2.2, and import them to Illustrator to my other (color CMYK images), the gray scale images appear very pale, also after the export to pdf.

When I convert the same gray scale images in Photoshop to CMYK and import them to Illustrator, the appearance of the gray scale images is consistent, they look the same in Photoshop, Illustrator and pdf. For pdf export, I use Illustrator standard (PDF/X-4:2010). The result is fine, but is it a problem if gray scale images have a CMYK profile, so are they usually printed without a a color tint? (e.g. a bit blue or green instead of a nice gray scale)

Best,

Ankylo

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of printing? At its most basic, is this digital printing or printing in a press with plates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I'll ask about that, the guidlines are quite short and do not include these points.

However, I have to prepare tif files (no pdfs), I would try to combine the colour CMYK and gray scale CMYK images in Illustrator and export as tif with CMYK. But, if they change the settings (e.g. brightness), the "gray scale appearance" of the gray scale images seems to change, so I think for this workflow it would be ideal if no further changes are done after tif export, right?

Best,

Ankylo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This may not be of help but I had a similar issue with InDesign a while ago and this link help me resolve it - your mileage may vary...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/exporting-rgb-cmyk-and-grayscale-to-print-pdf/m-...

I think the problem is that Gamma Gray is still working in the rgb gamut so bringing it into a cmyk doc creates problems but don't quote me on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines