Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CMYK values changing - colour management

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm struggling to work out what variable is changing here and hoping someone here can help isolate my issue. I've got a illustrator document with some logos in, their colours are all set to pantone references. When I copy and paste the logo into a new illustrator document, the CMYK values presented are different between the two documents and I can't work out why they are changing.

Global color settings:

color-settings.JPG

Document 1:

Color mode: CMYK

document1.JPG

Document 2:

Color mode: CMYK

document2.JPG

I can see in document 2 the color picker is now presenting an 'out of gamut' warning but I don't understand why this has appeared? When I 'correct' this warning, the CMYK values change again:

document3.JPG

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Preserve numbers should not change numbers.

By @Ton Frederiks

The swatch is still a spot color. And the spot options are set to "color book" obviously. So the conversion happens after the swatch has been copied into the document with the different profile. And then what happens is as designed.

In order to get the same numbers, you'll need to have the same color profile applied to both documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Yes, correct, as long as is still a spot, the CMYK numbers are just a preview of the conversion that would take place when changed to process colors.

The document color profiles can be seen at the bottom of your document window:

Doc profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would probably help if you turned on the warning options in the CM dialog and then tried to do the copy & paste routine again. This could get you on the right track.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

So i've turned the warnings on and it now gives me the option to select what I want to do. When I ask it to preserve numbers the CMYK is still changing though between documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your 2.jpg has the answer right there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, ignore me, I didn't scroll down to see Monika and Ton already gave same answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt,

The HSB values are the same in the first two.

What happens if you use the Color panel?

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/selecting-colors.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm not entirely sure what you mean to do?

If I convert the pantone to CMYK from the color panel, I get the same results as above. The CMYK values are different between documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you copying and pasting between CMYK documents? Preserve numbers should not change numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes both documents are CMYK documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preserve numbers should not change numbers.

By @Ton Frederiks

The swatch is still a spot color. And the spot options are set to "color book" obviously. So the conversion happens after the swatch has been copied into the document with the different profile. And then what happens is as designed.

In order to get the same numbers, you'll need to have the same color profile applied to both documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, correct, as long as is still a spot, the CMYK numbers are just a preview of the conversion that would take place when changed to process colors.

The document color profiles can be seen at the bottom of your document window:

Doc profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines